cost of gas

I'm not really sure why it's called E85 the octane rating is usually high 90's sometimes over 100
I was told e85 is around 130 octane. Slug is correct on it being 85% ethanol. I don't know why the picture says 70%. You only make more power if you're tuned for it, but most people don't because it's brutal on your fuel system and you can't always find it. If you tune for e85 and run 91, you can destroy your engine real quick. Flex fuel vehicles can sense what type of fuel you are running .

I was told e85 is around 130 octane. Slug is correct on it being 85% ethanol. I don't know why the picture says 70%. You only make more power if you're tuned for it, but most people don't because it's brutal on your fuel system and you can't always find it. If you tune for e85 and run 91, you can destroy your engine real quick. Flex fuel vehicles can sense what type of fuel you are running .
Its not. 110 on a good day

I know of at least two people locally with classic muscle cars that have reworked their carburetors and fuel system to run e85. One is a mid 60’s corvette with the 327/ 375hp engine. The other is a max wedge dodge. Both of those are high compression engines that need the octane to run right.
The corvette guy said that for years he had had to mix a couple of gallons of race fuel in every tank of gas to be able to drive it. Now he just runs e85 and he gets to drive and enjoy the car much more.

Mileage isn't as good running E85. It may be higher octane, which is good for high compression engines, but it doesn't have as much energy. You have to burn more of it to make the extra power. Daily driving a normal car, you get worse mileage. That being said, your cost is about the same as regular unleaded, because a tank of E85 is a bit cheaper. The government subsidizes the ethanol a bit to encourage its use. However, current ethanol production isn't great as far as net energy production. Think about all the fossil fuels used to produce it. Diesel for farm equipment to till, plant, and harvest fields. Transportation by semi and rail car to storage facilities and refinement facilities. Electricity mostly from coal burning power plants used by equipment in the refining process. Then you have to mix it with gasoline and transport it by semi again, this time to a gas station. There's a lot of energy that goes into E85 production. However, the purchase of it does support the industry, which is trying to develop more efficient and sustainable refinement processes, so I guess that's a good thing.

I haven't read this whole thread, so I don't know if this point has already been made.

I've worked at a junk yard for over 3 years while going to school. It's been nice getting free gas. Only thing I've paid to full up in the past 3ish years is my motorcycle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...