copper battery bars - how to keep clean ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

brian84corvette
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
here are some pix of my new battery setup.

2" x .5" copper bar stock

connecting 3 agm batterys - drilled and tapped with 1/4-20 between batterys

bunches of blackburn aluminum wire connectors from home depo

my question to you is - how do i keep them clean and corosion free for the best possible electrical connection ? i do change stuff a bunch ( amps and speakers ) so painting them with a plasti dip is pretty much out of the question.

tight - thats what i used after sanding with 500 grits to remove scum.

by the way - if you have no drill press - do not attempt to make your own buss bars - its about the most frustrating thing on earth drilling plum and square holes to then try and hand tap is about the worst waste of 2 days of my life. spend the money at tool maker and save your hair from turning grey or falling out.

Aluminum would have been better but StormCopper sells everything you need to keep copper corrosion free.

Aluminum would have been better but StormCopper sells everything you need to keep copper corrosion free.
well i have the aluminum bar also actually - same thing .5 x 2" as my copper bar but

how would aluminum be more desirable at transfering electrical energy than copper ?

im baffled by the thought of this ?

That aluminum bar you have isn't big.. Good for about 750A RMS.

I usually build bars to 2x my max RMS draw but if it fits your application then so be it.

IF you are not wired below 1ohm, 750A would be good, in my opinion, for about 7,000w.

But anyways, aluminum takes years to corrode vs copper-days.

That's what makes it good. That and aluminum is so much cheaper than copper.

LAst aluminum block(not bar) i made was rated for 6,500A, heh.

It was massive to say the least.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.