Cooling fans

Participant count
  • Participant list

2023 LTZ

CarAudio.com Exclusive
USA
I have a couple rft series amps running components, coaxials and subs. They’re mounted using 1/2” spacers on my sub box. The box is in my trunk and although I haven’t noticed any over heating I’m interested in wiring a couple 4” fans in some kind of fabricated angled base that is switched and blows directly on the amps from the floor of the trunk. These spal fans keep coming up. They look sturdy and are 12v. Each fan is 124cfm. Is this a lot or adequate for periodic on demand cooling?
second question is considering the amps draw somewhere around 1900w at peak, would one be safe in assuming my single run of 0ga is capable of also running a couple of these fans? I’d have a switch in the front so maybe I could just power it from the front battery? It appears they may be drawing about 2a each but I’m not sure if these are the same amps as other amps. Notice the fade in understanding there?
240a alternator
Group 34 interstate flooded
T 1500 supplying 1600 to 2 subbers
Components/coaxialdraw maybe 300 at peak.
0ga ofc from battery
Extra grounds as a part of the big 7
Grounded in trunk w 0ga from each amp to splitter to chassis. No not a sheet metal screw to the floor board. It’s bolted to a hole in the structural panel between trunk and passenger compartment. What are other options for cooling? I don’t think I need a rack or anything drastic.
I’ll use the keyword fans in a search of this forum next.

I have a couple rft series amps running components, coaxials and subs. They’re mounted using 1/2” spacers on my sub box. The box is in my trunk and although I haven’t noticed any over heating I’m interested in wiring a couple 4” fans in some kind of fabricated angled base that is switched and blows directly on the amps from the floor of the trunk. These spal fans keep coming up. They look sturdy and are 12v. Each fan is 124cfm. Is this a lot or adequate for periodic on demand cooling?
second question is considering the amps draw somewhere around 1900w at peak, would one be safe in assuming my single run of 0ga is capable of also running a couple of these fans? I’d have a switch in the front so maybe I could just power it from the front battery? It appears they may be drawing about 2a each but I’m not sure if these are the same amps as other amps. Notice the fade in understanding there?
240a alternator
0ga ofc from battery
Grounded in trunk w 0ga from each amp to splitter to chassis. No not a sheet metal screw to the floor board. It’s bolted to a hole in the structural panel between trunk and passenger compartment. What are other options for cooling? I don’t think I need a rack or anything drastic.
I installed 2 fans near my trunk mounted amps. Never had any overheating issue, but installed them as a precaution. Your cfm seems adequate if you have not experienced any overheating. My fan are powered by a relay, which is triggered by an adjustable thermostatic switch. Good luck with your project.

Attachments

• 20221109_160731.jpg
    20221109_160731.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
240a alternator
0ga ofc from battery

Most people just use typical pc fans tied into the remote turn on lead with a relay. Sparked innovations has a fancy fan if you want to go that route.

240a alternator
0ga ofc from battery

I have a ton of fans I'll sell them for dirt cheap plus shipping I have way too many and any one who needs some just hit me up.
I have around 100 of these collecting dust lmao I'll make a solid post with the name and all that if anyone really wants some. 1.00 plus shipping for the 612 and 2.00 for 812 they cost 5x that amount. Not trying to offend anyone.

Attachments

• IMG_20221126_063947.jpg
    IMG_20221126_063947.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20221126_062722.jpg
    20221126_062722.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 22
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...