Cooling Amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

Rukuzz
10+ year member

Ok audio geniuses I got one for ya!

I bought a cooling fan for my amp today. I hooked it up to the amp by using the remote power and the amp ground. I got noise feedback to the speakers.

It seems I have a couple of options. One is that I could tap in directly into the amp power and ground and attach a switch to the fan to manually turn on & off (not an option that's appealing to me).

Secondly, I could look for a wire that supplys power when I turn the ignition switch. If you've seen the wiring on the tundra it's extremely thin & I don't wanna mess with that unless there's another option.

Thirdly, I would go into the fuse box and tap into it for power. This is what seems easiest and more appealing to me.

Does anyone know if there are any drawbacks or anything I could hurt by doing this? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

A couple of options come to mind:

1) If the fuse block is accessible, you may find an unused spot that turns on with the ignition.

2) Use the same wire that feeds your head unit.

3) Tap into the amp's big power wire with a small 1 amp inline fuse and switch it through a relay. Run the relay coil off the remote.

There's also the possibility that you'll still get noise with any of these options, if the noise is being radiated in the air and not induced into the power wire. Check this by moving the fan away from the amp and see if the noise goes away. If it does, you need a quieter fan.

well i checked just to make sure and used the amp's power (not remote) & ground lines and got no noise.

I switched the power to the remote and got the noise!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif I guess the remote is taking the fan vibration or noise into the amp.

I think I'm gonna tap into the fuse box and find a power slot that turns on with the engine.

i'm not sure it will solve the problem,

but you could use a relay switch triggered by the remote power and at the same time run the juice directly from the acar's main power supply....

that way the fan goes on when the system is on, but your fan is taking it's current from a different circuit.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.