Convertible Options

Participant count
  • Participant list

convertstang
10+ year member

NC
I have a 2001 Convertible Mustang and have been searching for answers with no avail. I am installing 2 SA-8s in the trunk running about 500w per sub. I would like to fiberglass enclosures on both sides of the trunk so that I lose as little space as possible. My concern is port/sub placement and direction. I will have .6 cubes with 24 inches of 4" port for 34hz. Any help and advice would be appreciated. Id like to lean more towards sound quality but have the option to get loud.

i would have the port along the rear firing in, and the subs just in front of that firing in. try to keep them as close to the rear as possible.

what is the Q of the enclosure with your design? for SQ you want to shoot for 0.707

Q is right at .7. With the sub and port inward won't that lose some of the energy bounced off the back of the car or a solid surface? Someone from another source suggested firing sub down and port inward towards the other side of the trunk. That would enable me to put a 90 degree angle in the port achieving the length i need. I also heard about firing both the sub and port backward. Any insight or experience?

You are corner loading the sub. Regardless of the direction faced, sound will spread spherically from that point (given the frequencies reproduced). You gain 3dB from every nearby surface reflection.

You already started the enclosure. down firing doesn't make sense nor is it giving you anything.

I agree with firing the port inward, at the rear of the enclosure. I also feel the subs can fire inward, as close to the rear as possible.

That is an application that has been down many times with good results.

Thanks for the advice. I will try that. Any other suggestions as far as porting the rear panel to get some of the sound into the car? There is space under where the top comes down where the current amplifiers are located. I'm not going to use those for the front stage.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.