Contemplating upgrade single 10" to 12"

Participant count
  • Participant list

Riverhound
10+ year member

My current setup lacks the lows and i'm itching for a change.

Current setup:

10" Alpine Type R in Sealed 0.75Cu box

Phoenix Gold X400.1 rated at 434W.

Thinking about changing to a Fi X 12" with the same amp in a new sealed 1.25Cu box.

Would this make a noticeable difference?

I would like to stay with a single sub due to using my trunk a lot. I've thought about upgrading to a 1000W amp and getting a really nice sub, but i'm not sure its really needed when all i'm really lacking is some deep lows. Thoughts?

A ported enclosure can be designed to create an exaggerated response around your choice of tuning. If you are lacking some 30-40 (example), it is a quick fix for your solution.

EQ'ing is another method, which is usually made easier by having more cone area. Just food for thought.

How low are you aiming? Once you dip into the 25hz or lower regions, it becomes more air movement than an audible sound. To move air you need displacement, meaning cone area and excursion in a nutshell.

Digital Designs throws out the statement: "Space makes bass", and it tends to hold true, especially for lower frequencies. Low end extension usually comes at the compromise of efficiency.

Audioholic: I would rather stay away from a big ported box, I just don't have the trunk space. I live on the coast and have to fit my surfboard or any number of things back there.

Bumpin': I'm not sure really. I just know that now when I listen to any songs that have low notes, it really quiets down past a certain level. I'd say under 30-35hz it just cuts out like I have a crossover set (it isn't).

So I gather that the proposed setup wont make a huge difference? What setup would achieve my goal using a single sub?

Go as large as you can COMFORTABLY fit, look for a driver with low end promise, and work from there. If your power is limited to ~400rms, make it work. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

There is always a way!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Given your limitations I would think you need to lower expectations a bit and understand that with in your given restrictions are at about the best you can do.

Go as large as you can COMFORTABLY fit' date=' look for a driver with low end promise, and work from there. If your power is limited to ~400rms, make it work. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
There is always a way!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.[/quote']

Almost anything is possible, but when space is so limited it gets to be an issue when considering lowend bass.

Given your limitations I would think you need to lower expectations a bit and understand that with in your given restrictions are at about the best you can do.

Almost anything is possible, but when space is so limited it gets to be an issue when considering lowend bass.
No doubt, but with a little luck and a lot of work, it can happen. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Wow, I didn't think my limitation were that serious. I figured with my current sub being pretty inefficient and small, going with a larger and higher quality sub would be a quick fix. I could always go with more power, but then I'd have to re-wire as well so it would be a lot more work and money.

Wow, I didn't think my limitation were that serious. I figured with my current sub being pretty inefficient and small, going with a larger and higher quality sub would be a quick fix. I could always go with more power, but then I'd have to re-wire as well so it would be a lot more work and money.
It all comes down to what you consider "enough". A ported enclosure will be able to add system efficiency, if you will. It will also exaggerate your response, boosting the area at and immediately above tuning.

Give me a budget, and I'll see what my mind comes up with.

It all comes down to what you consider "enough". A ported enclosure will be able to add system efficiency' date=' if you will. It will also exaggerate your response, boosting the area at and immediately above tuning.
Give me a budget, and I'll see what my mind comes up with.[/quote']

Well I could justify spending up to $300 on a sub if that would make a difference. Is there a different sub that would work better in a sealed box with ~400W? I just don't think I'm willing to go back to ported or re-wire my car for a more powerful amp. If not i'll just stay with my current setup.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.