Considering a Type R sub

myron
10+ year member

Colorado
i am considering putting a single alpine type r sub in my trunk. before i continue, here is what i currently have running:

Vehicle: 97 Toyota Camry

Head unit: Pioneer DEH-P7800MP

Speaker Amp: Infinity REF7541A

Front Stage: Alpine SPR-17LS

Rear Stage: Alpine SPR-69LP

while i like the sound that i currently have as far as clarity, presence and highs, no matter how much i fool with the eq, bbe, or loudness i am unable to get the full range in the lower spectrum that i desire. for this reason i am thinking about taking this next step.

i definitly have a tight budget, so from my research thus far the type r sub seem like a good fit to me. i listen to a wide assortment of music, mostly rock and jazz. i listen to a little hip hop but very infrequently. i am interested in good sound quality, and not interested in "booming".

i am considering either a single 10 inch or a 12 inch. due to money constraints i am not considering doing dual subs. the amp i am considering running for the sub is a pioneer "premier" prs-d1000m. the box will be a custom sealed box.

do you people think that making this move would make a big difference in my sound, adding the low end that i desire? would a 10 or a 12 inch be better for my situation? is the amp that i am looking at a decent choice?

any input on this big step for me would be much appreciated.

myron

p.s. i am aware of the sticky type r thread here, but finding the information i need in its 2500 posts is very hard. i have also browsed the other type r threads on this and other boards, but am looking for some info relevant to my particular situation here. thanks...

*bump*

any input from anyone? i was considering doing this tommorow, so am anxious to hear what you all have to say. thanks.....

myron

Just installed on in a friends Focus. Great bang for buck. It was wanging pretty good on only 300RMS. Give it twice that and you will be very pleased.

This was in a 2cuft @ 32hz enclosure.

I wouldnt put a type-r in a sealed box IMO. Ported FTW

If your on a tight budget then you should look into a 12 or 15in Type-S and run it at 400-500watts. It'd sound decent and get some nice bass for ya.

i have two type r 10's in two sealed boxes. they sound great for what ur after. just find an amp that will put 500 wrms to it. the statement made above is someone after pure bang and loudness. put a twelve in a sealed or ported box and ur going to be heard, but adjusted correctly it will add a great sound. there is ahuge difference when u add a sub. u will love it!

i was not to impressed with my type r's sq. And since that sounds like what your going for, maybe there somthing better out there for you. Whats your budget?

i was not to impressed with my type r's sq. And since that sounds like what your going for, maybe there somthing better out there for you. Whats your budget?
on the sub i can't spend more than $200.

I wouldnt put a type-r in a sealed box IMO. Ported FTWIf your on a tight budget then you should look into a 12 or 15in Type-S and run it at 400-500watts. It'd sound decent and get some nice bass for ya.
for one he is looking only for a single 10 or 12

secondly alpine only makes the type S in 10 and 12'' drivers

I know exactly what you mean. 1 12' tyype R should fit you like a glove. Like the earlier post say, type R needs some juice to get the performance you desire. With enough power you should be 1 and done.

Just wanted to follow up and let you guys know i went with one 10 inch type r, per the setup described in the original post. I am very happy with it. Thanks to those who gave me input.....

Doing my big 3 today and dropping in a Optima Redtop, then it's all enjoyment for me for awhile.

myron

Did you get the $289 Pioneer prs-d1000m that does 600rms @ 2 ohm?

Could have gotten the hifonics 1606D for the same price that would give you the ablility to upgrade to something better in the future, but since your happy with everything thats all that matters.

Hows the BIG 3 going?

hifonicsqy8.jpg

Did you get the $289 Pioneer prs-d1000m that does 600rms @ 2 ohm?
Could have gotten the hifonics 1606D for the same price that would give you the ablility to upgrade to something better in the future, but since your happy with everything thats all that matters.

Hows the BIG 3 going?
According to my dmm, that amp is overrated as hell.

i heard 2 type r's ported last night off 1000 watts and id have to say i wasn't pleased at all with the sound. They had no kick or sq to them at all. They did not sound very good to me but thats just my opinion.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.