Cons on a Toyota Corolla

Have you ever rode in a caddy? Those bishes wrote the book on smooth. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
many of them. I haven't seen too many for sale in a reasonable price tho... Like there's not many used ones on the market that have really drawn to me, but you are right, smooth rides for sure.

I would get the Nissan since you seem to really like it. I mean you are paying for it, so go for it. I dont know why your parents are against it.
That is my goal. I still dont know why my parents are against it. They aren't even 100% against it, they are just that much in favor of Toyota. And I think Toyota is a great idea, hopefully I can find a Camry that I enjoy. But if the Camry does not work out then I have to get either a Maxima or Altima.

I really can't say much about the Corolla I've never driven one before but I wouldn't want to get one either. For your price point here's some cars I would consider over the Maxima in case you want some other options.

Audi A6 (I'm actually planning on getting one myself sometime in the next year or so. It's a very solid car and pretty quick. Just convince her it's above and beyond a better car than either one, which it is. Also mention safety maybe.)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=202222498&dealer_id=6556759&car_year=2000&bkms=1148007670277&model=A6&lang=en&isp=y&start_year=1999&certified=&search_type=both&distance=0&first_record=26&make=AUDI&min_price=5000&address=37601&advanced=&end_year=2002&pager.offset=25&max_price=16000&cardist=880

Jeep Grand Cherokee (gas milage is kindof bad but I have one and I can tell you it's a really good vehicle all the way around)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=201046306&dealer_id=70130&car_year=2000&search_type=both&make=JEEP&transmission=&distance=0&model=JEEPGRAND&address=37601&make2=sel_one&certified=&advanced=y&max_mileage=&max_price=16000&bkms=1148008025675&min_price=5000&first_record=26&end_year=2002&color=&start_year=1999&drive=4+wheel+drive&isp=y&pager.offset=25&engine=8+Cylinder&doors=&fuel=&lang=&cardist=322

I'd tell my mom to get the maxima over the corolla because (not sure if this is all true) it's a safer more solidly built car and you want the safest car for the money. It also handles much better and you could avoid accidents with the better handling capabillites. Call to attention that you need to use your own judgment because her judgement in the last car might not have been the best with the ford. Good luck!

Good call on the Audi A6. I've been looking around at a few Audi's and have been impressed with all of them. I will be looking at that. I saw many Audi A4's that I liked, but these cars can get pricey.

And the Corolla is finally out of question. And I am so happy, I just couldn't drive around in another car picked out by a mom.

Dude starting out in life with 16 k in debt for a depreciating asset is the worst mistake to make. You'll be hitting your self 3-4 years down the road when your car is a pos and you're still making payments. Plus if you want to go to college and grad. school you'll be definately killing yourself. A better option could be to buy a 99-00 Civic, Accord, Camry, Altima. Try sticking closer to 10k and the effect of debt later on won't be as bad.

I understand what everyone's saying and thought about it, but as long as I live at home rent free (yes I still love my parents lol) then I should have the car paid off in 2 years - 2 1/2 years max. I think it's a risk that I can take.

I understand what everyone's saying and thought about it, but as long as I live at home rent free (yes I still love my parents lol) then I should have the car paid off in 2 years - 2 1/2 years max. I think it's a risk that I can take.
If I had to buy a car I wasn't happy with, and then pay for it for 2 years I'd be a very unhappy person. If you buy a car just because it gets good gas milage and is cheap you're gonna hate paying on it most likely. I think if you got a car like an Audi, you wouldn't mind paying for it nearly much because driving it would be much more rewarding.

Dude starting out in life with 16 k in debt for a depreciating asset is the worst mistake to make. You'll be hitting your self 3-4 years down the road when your car is a pos and you're still making payments. Plus if you want to go to college and grad. school you'll be definately killing yourself. A better option could be to buy a 99-00 Civic, Accord, Camry, Altima. Try sticking closer to 10k and the effect of debt later on won't be as bad.

What is the huge difference between 10g's to 17g's? I mean I could see if it was a bigger gap, but really there isnt much difference. It will still take him time to pay it off. So miles well get a new car with warranty and something you like. To each its own I always say.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

i wouldn't be caught dead driving a corolla...

all these stupid arguments about longetivity... do you guys realize that maxima's last just as long as corollas? i personally know several maxima's that are well over 200k miles and still running as if they had half that mileage.. i know i'm driving mine till the wheels fall off. i've put on 55k hard miles and it has had absolutely zero problems right now (as it should)--it's too bad i can't say the same for the acura TL in our household..

the only real drawback w/ the max is the rear beam axle. in stock form (and maybe minor suspension mods) it shouldn't matter and it actually performs BETTER than IRS... but once you start doin some real modding, the rear beam totally kills it.

my 03 maxima > your life //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

if you want an altimo, don't get anything older than the 05 (we got an altimo too, trust me..). if i were your age, i'd honestly get a 4th gen max and throw on the 00-01 variable intake...instant mid 14's... or get a sentra and swap the vq35de in it... instant low 13's on street tires hehehe

If I were you, I'd try and find an altima over a maxima. They do get better gas mileage and are really good cars. Those corollas are definitely good cars too though. Personally, I'm not into putting all sorts of mods onto my car when I know it's just going to depreciate in value anyways. I'd just look for the most efficient car I can get. Insurance is going to be really high with any luxury car or sports car, especially at your age.

well after a lot of BS'ing and working out deals and stuff... My mom is hooked in Sentras... so I'm about half way there on getting her talked into a Maxima... but even if I lose now, I still get to pick up a Sentra and I do like them. My mom even has a friend who has an old Sentra (02 I think) and the thing hasn't had a problem and my mom's really starting to buy into the Nissan thing. Still workin for the Max tho.

Maxima I could see ... Altima, sure ... But Sentra ?? I'd rather have the Corolla ...
I found a nice Sentra, a guy put in a lot of work on it and it's pretty nice... I liked it more than a Corolla. And I'm still working on the Maxima thing. We're going to be looking at Maxima's tommorow. It just ***** because every place where I found a nice Maxima, my mom says she doesnt want to buy from that dealership because of things her friends and co-worker said.... the same co-workers that tried to sell her a crap ass Corolla for $12,000 and already sold her a Crap '96 Ford.

Theres no way I'd get a Sentra theres this guy I know that has one and it's a piece of junk. I've driven it too, they're just not quallity cars, fixed up or not. I wouldn't settle.

Well, I'm not saying the Sentra is junk, but I personally would get the Corolla over the Sentra because:
1) The resale value is much better, so when you leave home and want to get that Maxima you really want, you won't have to pay as much for it

2) It gets better fuel economy; again, you can save more money for your Maxima when you move out

3) Historically, it's one of, if not the most reliable vehicle model ever; less likely to spend $$$ on repairs, more $$$ for Maxima in future

4) If you're not getting the car you really want now, might as well get the one that's going to get you to the car you really want sooner ...
Pretty strong points... Hell, the most convincing yet. I am not completly out of getting this Maxima tho, my parents are slowly understanding why I am so interested in it... but yeah, if not I may go for a Corolla (just not the crap ass $12,000 they want me to buy lol)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.