Connecting Amp to existing power line?

rynet91
10+ year member

Well I'm kinda new to this whole thing and I'm not looking for 2000W of bass, but I do have 2 10" alpine subs and I am trying to hook up my amp to power them. I have a 1999 Chevy Malibu. I am looking for a good hole to route the amp power line through and I can't find anything. I don't want to cut into my fire wall in fear of hitting something else, and if I take apart my dash it may not go back together.

Is there a way I can take an existing power line in the car and connect the amp to that? What problems or risks will arise when doing this?

malibus have a rubber grommet that u can pull out under fron driver dash take off that plastic part and theirs a spot where the wires are ran through the firewall pull the grommet off and put ur wire through

malibus have a rubber grommet that u can pull out under fron driver dash take off that plastic part and theirs a spot where the wires are ran through the firewall pull the grommet off and put ur wire through
Are you talking underneath the carpet or up in the dash under the steering wheel?

Sorry for not replying, been a bit busy. But anyway...Here what I got:

As for the grommet, you are talking about this big thing?

grommet.gif

There is no opening at all, as far as I can feel. The only way to string something through would be to cut it. Also I could not find where that hole is in the engine area, it might be back behind all the boxes which is in an area that I can't pull through. (Probably blocked)

Another question: the power cable is suppose to go directly to your battery, but here is my battery:

battery.gif

Notice how there isn't a screw area where the cable hook can fit over. After a bit of looking around I found the fuse relay box.

fuse_box.gif

Notice the plus sign in the lower left?

fuse_box_open.gif

It looks about the size of the hole on the amp power cable. Does this mean I plug the amp into the fuse box instead of the battery?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

They make a post that replaces the one you have now on the battery.It threads into the battery the same,but has a bolt that threads into that to secure the power wire to the battery.
Great link me. Now back to the grommet, TSGP or mike is that the thing you are talking about?

Yikes.... dude you can use any bolt with the correct combination of nuts and washers to make the post almost any necessary length.

Or you can buy the actual extenders.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.