Confused about amp suitability

Participant count
  • Participant list

Lozi

Hi

i am building a retro-ish system in my van and I have collected 8 subs. 4 12” and 4 10” which I’m not sure sure if it’s a good idea mixing sizes but it’s all I could get these subs are not that common.

they are

Infinity Kappa 120.1se

http://www.cieri.net...l box etc.).pdf

Infinity Kappa 100.1se

http://www.cieri.net...l box etc.).pdf

i plan for the subs and speakers to all be from that range but I want newer amps to power it all.

i like alpine so have been looking at their V power amps MRV-M1200 and MRV-M500 x2.

the subs are 300wrms and 250wrms respectively at 4 ohms and the amps make 1200rms and 500rms which I thought would power them perfectly but they produce that power at 2 ohm so does that mean it won’t work?

Thanks

So I guess giving up all your cargo space for a load of mediocre budget subs and spending hours/hundreds on enclosure design/construction when you could achieve similar sound with a good pair of 12's is the "retro-ish" aspect of the set up you're going for?

They're svc 4's, right? Each set of 4 can run at 1 or 4 ohms. The 1200 needs 2 ohms for optimal power. You're either stuck at 150w per sub running at 4 ohms (but if you're going to do that you could just run all 8 with one amp at 150), or pushing the limits of the amp trying to run at 1, hoping impedance rise keeps it safe. Looks like DCR occurs at ~100hz -- if you low pass at ~80hz or less it might work.

Two mrv-m500's on the other 4 would be fine since you'd run a 500 per pair of subs getting you 250w per sub.

just run the 12's or sell all and get 2 15's (correct ohm load for amp u will have) that'll work and get new sq s2250 or simliar to power 2 15's ported (u will need to upgrade big3 wires and maybe 2nd battery for that amp)

Thanks for the info guys, the truth has turned out not to be the answer I wanted as I guess it won’t work.

These are old subs but the reason I wanted to build s big system around them is I have had 2 of the 12’s since they were new in sealed enclosure and I have always been really happy with them. Now they are really cheap to obtain I wanted to build the system I couldn’t afford when they were new as they were decent back in the day. I’m not trying to get the optimal setup or anything I just wanted to try and install them in the van in a sealed enclosure for seemingly the wrong reasons lol

Amplifying them is an issue it seems anyway as I don’t want to spend 1000’s on amps to run these old subs so I’m not really sure what to do now. I want to try and stick with them if I can but it’s not looking good I guess.

Thanks for the info guys, the truth has turned out not to be the answer I wanted as I guess it won’t work.
These are old subs but the reason I wanted to build s big system around them is I have had 2 of the 12’s since they were new in sealed enclosure and I have always been really happy with them. Now they are really cheap to obtain I wanted to build the system I couldn’t afford when they were new as they were decent back in the day. I’m not trying to get the optimal setup or anything I just wanted to try and install them in the van in a sealed enclosure for seemingly the wrong reasons lol

Amplifying them is an issue it seems anyway as I don’t want to spend 1000’s on amps to run these old subs so I’m not really sure what to do now. I want to try and stick with them if I can but it’s not looking good I guess.
u can get a $180 sq1250 amp (or similar) and 2 $100-$150 12's or 15's ported and be louder than all that sealed with low power.

It’s abit of a nostalgia thing to be honest so buying a load of new stuff wouldn’t scratch that misguided itch. The further 6 subs I have bought on top of the 2 I had only owe me about £80 lol

It’s abit of a nostalgia thing to be honest so buying a load of new stuff wouldn’t scratch that misguided itch. The further 6 subs I have bought on top of the 2 I had only owe me about £80 lol
A lot of the old school subs were more efficient and didn't need as much power as the subs today. I would look into equipment from Vibe, I'm pretty sure they are based out of the UK, they seem to make a good product and have a big following.

yeah like kush said newer subs just require more power.. all the subs i had yrs ago were 150-350rms light subs with 5-600rms amp in sealed box (some of my old box pics are in my gallery)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.