Component Speaker Suggestions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jack10525
10+ year member

Hello All,

I am looking to upgrade the speakers in my 2012 MX-5. I already updated with speakers I had laying around but figure if I put better ones in it may sound better. Currently I have a JVC AV60BT Head, Polk Audio DB651 Speakers in the doors powered by a 4 channel sony 75 watt amp. I bridged the 2 rear channels of the amp to push an Apline Type-R 10" sub in a small sealed inclosure. With the exception of the head unit I had all the parts laying around from previous cars. The MX-5 comes with factory components in the doors. I would like suggestions on replacing the Polks with a decent set of components. Let's keep the budget under $150. Since there are factory components in the doors does that mean I can just connect the new component speakers to the existing wires? What about the crossover that comes with the new speakers? There are 4 wires in each door. 2 for the tweets and 2 for the woofer. Thanks for any advice.

I have a really nice set of alpine spx17pro type x components that would go great with your alpine type r sub. Those subs sound pretty good. Mine are a little over your budget but sound great. I need 250 shipped in the original box for them.

With your speakers, I would definitely recommend replacing them. I don't know what options that you have in that price range. I would also recommend changing your amp to something a little more high quality. That would help too. I have a nice Audison srx4 4 channel amp that's pretty nice and high quality. It isn't a show piece but works great. I only need 75 for it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the replys guys.

AJ1735. Those speakes seem nice but out of my price range. What is wrong with my amp? Seems to produce decent power.

Is there any advantage in using 6x8" components over 6.5"?

Thanks for the replys guys.
AJ1735. Those speakes seem nice but out of my price range. What is wrong with my amp? Seems to produce decent power.

Is there any advantage in using 6x8" components over 6.5"?
No, just stick with 6.5". Better quality options available and easily resold if need be.

Oh and the amp s u cks, well, because its Sony. You can pick up a much better amp than that for under $100. But use what you want!

No, just stick with 6.5". Better quality options available and easily resold if need be.
Oh and the amp s u cks, well, because its Sony. You can pick up a much better amp than that for under $100. But use what you want!
So what makes everyone hate sony so much? Upgrading the amp is not a problem I just wouldn't want to upgrade and not notice a difference.

So what makes everyone hate sony so much? Upgrading the amp is not a problem I just wouldn't want to upgrade and not notice a difference.
Because they over rate their amps, and they are very low quality. Take a look at a Sundown amp, or Audison as previously mentioned then look at the internals of your Sony amp. Youll know why.

Sony Amp

DSC00547.jpg

Sundown Amp

DSC_0367.jpg

See what I mean?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.