Component set or coaxials for rear?

Participant count
  • Participant list

seankurz
10+ year member

Rear speakers:

This is where I am stuck-

For the rear speakers, would it be better to use coaxial 6.5's or a matching 6.5 component set? Are components used for rear, or should I just go with coaxials? or is this another matter of opinion like asking "whats better, blondes or redheads or brunettes?" I would like to stay with the image dynamics brand for sq, price, and comparable output to the front channels. What would be better for the rear speakers- coaxial 6.5's or a component set?

Background:

I listen to a wide range of music,alice in chains, beats antique, black sabbath, citizen cope, coal chamber, cream, deftones, faith no more, fear factory, five finger death punch, godsmack, gorillaz, jerry cantrell, joe satriani, korn, lamb of god, meshuggah, mushroomhead, ozzy, opeth, pantera, a perfect circle, powerman 5000, primus, pucifer, rammstein, red hot chili peppers, rob zombie, static x, stone temple pilots, system of a down, tool, white zombie, to name a few

I am doing a complete overhaul of the stock system in my 2005 Saturn Ion Redline series. I have a LITTLE bit of an idea of what I am doing , but I AM fairly new to this. I did do an install on my old vehicle years ago, but I didnt really know what i was doing then, and heres what I have lined up so far:

Front speakers:

There are component 6.5" stock speakers, and I decided to stay with components. I was shopping around for weeks, reading forum posts and calling local shops, and I was ping-ponging between Phoenix Gold components, Morel Maximos, Hertz, Polk MM, and Image dynamics. I went to a car show yesterday and there was some incredible work there, and so I started to look at 3 way systems, but they were too pricy (hertz=$300-$500 a set), Hertz and morel seemed to be a standard, but they were simply out of my price range, so I finally landed on the Image Dynamics CTX65cs set for $125 shipped.

To recap:

Should I go with coaxials or component 6.5's for rear speakers?

Read this.

GlassWolf's Pages

Rear fill will interfere with your front sound stage. Keep the levels low back there. And id use just a woofer, no tweeter. If you have coax back there, keep the levels low.

Id focus on your front stage first. Use the money for you front stage. IMO

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.