Component question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Face of Fear
10+ year member

The Beard
Iowa
I am running 2 18s walled off in my 2002 grand prix. Before I took the 18s out I was doing a 157.

I am looking for a component set(I believe stock size is 5.25) so that I can hear my mids and highs over my subs. I am aiming for slightly louder next year as well. Going to try to break that 60 mark.

I am not looking to do much fabrication wise so I would like to stick with stock size. I will make a cutout for a super tweeter if that is something someone recommends.

I have looked and hunted around a ton, but can't really figure out where to start and what to look for. Any help would be appreciated.

[quote name='quackhead']just rambling, but 2 Crescendo PWX 8" 4ohm and a FT1 8ohm in each door...maybe on a C1100.4 or something like the OPTI250.4 don't care for the bullet tweets much, but that may be what it takes in your type of set -up. @twistedchild420;[/QUOTE]

The nendo mids aren't very loud. PA is the way to go though. 2 8's or 10's per door and a couple of supertweeters in each A pillar. The AQ supertweets are pretty shallow so easy to glass in the pillars.

Look into selenium or beyma for mids. Even the parts express house brand gets very loud. I have 4 of their 6.5's per door and they keep up with mid 50's on bass no problem.

I looked into all AQ actually. Was thinking 2 of the st1 super tweets and 4 of the mr6.5 mids. Just need someone to help with mounting them in my door. Prolly would put the super tweet in the A-Pillar tho.

The nendo mids aren't very loud. PA is the way to go though. 2 8's or 10's per door and a couple of supertweeters in each A pillar. The AQ supertweets are pretty shallow so easy to glass in the pillars.
Look into selenium or beyma for mids. Even the parts express house brand gets very loud. I have 4 of their 6.5's per door and they keep up with mid 50's on bass no problem.
What would you recommend for an amp and crossovers? I don't need to go through the whole running active setup. I just am looking for a little bit louder and a little bit of quality as well.

running active just makes speaker selection easier. running passive means you need to build custom passive crossovers for your speakers at the specific impedance resulting from the type and quantity ran. active saves you time an money and offers much more flexibility with speaker type and quantity.

i agree- you should look to PA audio speakers and methods. you will need to fabricate.

it's a misnomer that you can achieve SQL with high bass levels - those subs will manhandle any speaker in the car - when you pressurize the cabin - any cone speakers will give in and move in response to the pressure generated by the subs.

What would you recommend for an amp and crossovers? I don't need to go through the whole running active setup. I just am looking for a little bit louder and a little bit of quality as well.
I run mostly nendo 1000c4's but also use a Pio 880 to go active. Otherwise you need to do a combination of HU HPF and fmods for LPF for the mids. AQ tweets come with a cap/HPF installed.

running active just makes speaker selection easier. running passive means you need to build custom passive crossovers for your speakers at the specific impedance resulting from the type and quantity ran. active saves you time an money and offers much more flexibility with speaker type and quantity.
i agree- you should look to PA audio speakers and methods. you will need to fabricate.

it's a misnomer that you can achieve SQL with high bass levels - those subs will manhandle any speaker in the car - when you pressurize the cabin - any cone speakers will give in and move in response to the pressure generated by the subs.
Another anomaly is that certain songs excite the air so much the voices sound choppy. Otherwise I've never noticed an issue with the mids being distorted by the pressure in the cabin and that affecting the sound.

In theory that should happen for sure, but it doesn't seem to...

So active is the best choice? If I go with 2 AQ mids per door and 2 AQ st1 tweets per pillar. How would I go active? I am interested but have always been told its overly pricey. I have a clarion Z401 deck but I would like to keep it.

With the clarion deck and running 6 speakers how would I go active? Is it all in the amp or is it a processor? I'm not looking to get $500-$600 into this. Just wanna hear my mids and highs sometimes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.