Component Crossover tuning off/Protect Mode? Help!

yzbrad99

Valpo
I have a Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 component set powered by a Pioneer PRS D800 amp. The components are 100w RMS/400w peak. The Pioneer PRS D800 is 125w @ 4 ohm continuous. At high volume the Infinity crossovers turn off or go into protect mode. Im not getting any distortion at all. Its not the amp turning off because the left and right speakers turn off at different times and the amp light stays on the entire time. Are these crossovers really that over protective with these components or what? Ive never ran into this issue before. Using a 90hz HPF as well.

No boosts. its a 2008 Honda Civic with a Premium Sound system so i bypassed the amplifier. But after i did that, even with the Pioneer 2 channel amp gain all the way up it was too quiet. So i purchased the AudioControl Overdrive plus.

Overdrive Plus - AudioControl

Also using a Kicker KISLOC 2-Channel K-Series Speaker Cable to RCA Adapter with Line Out Converter.

All my grounds are sanded and super clean. No audio feedback or buzz. Im using 14 gauge wire for the components (probably overkill). I feel like these crossovers are super sensitive and not happy with them turning off when there is no distortion coming out and i feel like i have more room for SPL.

Maybe i should look into some different crossovers? Any recommendations?

View attachment 26556165Because my amp does not have high level speaker inputs.
i'd invest in something that actual DE-EQ's the factory curve and provide a strong signal like a jl cleansweep or an actual digital sound processor instead. Cant hope to get any decent results from a plain jane line out convertor and sh*tty stock head unit. Yes stock head units are that bad along with LOCs. Stay on the forum long enough and you'll see a majority of EVERONE's issues and dissatisfaction are from LOCs and stock head units.

i'd invest in something that actual DE-EQ's the factory curve and provide a strong signal like a jl cleansweep or an actual digital sound processor instead. Cant hope to get any decent results from a plain jane line out convertor and sh*tty stock head unit. Yes stock head units are that bad along with LOCs. Stay on the forum long enough and you'll see a majority of EVERONE's issues and dissatisfaction are from LOCs and stock head units.
Well i've always used an aftermarket radio with RCA outputs, never one have dealt with a stock radio and a cheap line out converter. So this is new to me. I guess trying to keep the stock look for my Civic isn't paying off. It just seemed like such a pain to change the radio with all the a/c controls built in.

Well i've always used an aftermarket radio with RCA outputs, never one have dealt with a stock radio and a cheap line out converter. So this is new to me. I guess trying to keep the stock look for my Civic isn't paying off. It just seemed like such a pain to change the radio with all the a/c controls built in.
JL FiX

The cross overs are protecting themselves due to to much power. Now might be the time to sell the amp and go active. If your happy with the sound there is no need to swap the hu and toss the loc. These items are not the cause of your problem. Would an aftermarket hu make things sound better and be easier to work with yes but will not stop the crossovers from protecting.

The cross overs are protecting themselves due to to much power. Now might be the time to sell the amp and go active. If your happy with the sound there is no need to swap the hu and toss the loc. These items are not the cause of your problem. Would an aftermarket hu make things sound better and be easier to work with yes but will not stop the crossovers from protecting.
This is the first thing i thought. The crossover's are weak. I might just ditch them and go active.

Last edited by a moderator:
digital sound processors or a jl's fix will give the same effect as having an aftermarket head unit.

digital sound processors or a jl's fix will give the same effect as having an aftermarket head unit.
Well I'm going to try one, and if it doesn't work, ill probably ditch these crappy crossovers and go active. The speakers aren't even sounding distorted at all, they aren't getting pushed too hard. Probably getting 250w max per speaker. I should have another 150w headroom if they peak out at 400w.

So about a year ago I used the same Pioneer PRS D800 with these cheap $100 Pioneer TS-A1606C Components in my golf cart, but with a Clarion head unit. Well they get easily twice as loud, and they are only 75w RMS / 350w peak. Thats why i feel like something is wrong. Hopefully this sound processor works.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.