Component Advice - $1400 budget

copernicus
10+ year member

Hi,

I'm getting new components. I'm happy to spend less, but am willing to spend up to $1400.

My main focus is on clarity, but I'd like all-around good sound. These will be going in a g37 coupe.

Right now I'm considering the Focal KRX2 and KRX3. What else should I be looking at? Any strong opinion between those two?

Thanks!

The CDT Audio ES Gold line has comparable components to the options presented thus far, yet well under your budget for 2-way sets. The ES-62iM has a shallow depth if space in the doors is tight.

Both nice choices, and a nice car. I hope the installation is up to par - no drop-in install will make your investment worth it. does your budget include custom professional installation?
some inspiration courtesy of Matt Roberts:

Enfinitys, Infinity G37 rebuild - DIYMA.com - Scientific Car Audio - Truth in Sound Quality

other brands to consider:

Hertz Mille

Morel Elate

Dynaudio
Thanks for the advice. I listened to the Hertz Mille yesterday and think they sound really good also. I can't decide whether I like them more or less than the Focal's. I am planning to pay for a good professional installation. How much do you think it should run me? My budget for that is separate from the actual cost of the components.

I'm listening to the dynaudios on Saturday. I hear really good things, so I'm excited.

That g37 build is sick btw!! Thanks for linking that.

OH, and OP, you cant pass up the HAT Legatia, or if you were willing to go active, you could pick up an incredible Scan Speak set. Regardless, like KHA said, the install will help wonders... You could even get away with a HAT Clarus set if the install was good enough.

if i were paying $1500 for speakers, i would expect to pay at least $800 for install - labor and materials... but i would have fiberglass door pods and deadener to seal the doors. a typical speaker install would be around $100 but for that type of install you'll be wasting your money on speakers, in my opinion. deadener alone will run around $200.

in short - spend less on the speakers and more on the install and you'll have better results.

I love Dynaudio speakers - both car and home. I like Focal speakers in home more than car - but the KRX are still very good.

Spending about $800 for the install sounds reasonable to me. That also lines up with what one local shop quoted me.

Another local shop quoted me $100 to install the speakers. I got a good impression from the shop, but am somewhat worried that it was so cheap. Also, he didn't mention sound deadening the doors, which I understand to be essential.

Do you think that should be enough to sway me to go to the more expensive shop?

Spending about $800 for the install sounds reasonable to me. That also lines up with what one local shop quoted me.
Another local shop quoted me $100 to install the speakers. I got a good impression from the shop, but am somewhat worried that it was so cheap. Also, he didn't mention sound deadening the doors, which I understand to be essential.

Do you think that should be enough to sway me to go to the more expensive shop?
The shop I go to to help me do my installs is nothing fancy but it's cheap. The way I see it, as long as u can provide materials (which is usually cheaper) and u know how things should be done and the shop has enough basic knowledge to run wires, I'd go with the cheaper one.

If you could fit them, consider Legatia L6SE+ Legation L1 Pro R2 tweeters running active or with the optional 2way HAT crossovers. Nice and simple. These are proven performers.

If you're willing to go $2000 or so, L8SE+L1v2+ L3SE or L4SE would have been a sweet 3-way setup.

Ok, I've now listened to the Focal KRX3s, KRX2s, the Hertz Milles, and the DynAudio Esotec 362s. It is between the Focals and the Dynaudios for me. I just have to make the final decision. I listened to them A/B and I still can't decide. The DynAudios were a lot smoother and I liked them on most songs, but when I would play something soft the clarity of the KRX3s would take my breath away.

Hmmm...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.