Component 6.5" fronts -- Which would you choose?

Chromatic

Senior VIP Member
B'ham, AL
I'm putting some new speakers in the front of my 350Z to replace the factory speakers and a sub.. Out of these three choices which would you go with.

These were recommended by someone on here I believe.. not 100% they fit the tight space in the doors of this car, pretty much all speakers need a spacer.

Cl-61cv - CDT Audio 6.5" Convertible Coaxial Component Speaker System | WoofersEtc

These DO fit,.. come with a spacer from Crutchfield:

Kicker 40CSS654 6-1/2" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

And, these are priced higher,.. but I believe would have no issues fitting due to their "slim" design. Perhaps the price is up due to this design. But, the tweeters are 1", and factory slot is .75" -- so would need some modification.

WoofersEtc.com - EF-61NEO - CDT Audio 6.5" Slim NEODYMIUM Speaker System

In this price range, have any other recommendations if none of these are "best" for the price range? Have to keep in mind.. stock replacement of 6.5" mids.. which need a spacer even with 2.5" depth magnets,.. and finding .75" tweeters is a bonus due to fitting in factory Sail panels.

Thanks

Hrmm.. The JBL's are 160watts RMS. (Speakers I'm looking at are 100watts-RMS..) That's going to push my budget way up there on the amp. Plus the tweeters are 1".. I need 3/4" tweeters. Also, I wonder how deep they are.

Man,.. it's near impossible to figure out online what speakers are good vs. others. As everyone has a different opinion,.. and about the only way you can be "sure" on something is to buy $400-500+ speakers.

The CDT is a brand I've never heard of.. are they quality products? Kicker is a brand I used to think was crap,.. years ago.... but I guess their products have come up as the years have gone by.

Hrmm.. The JBL's are 160watts RMS. (Speakers I'm looking at are 100watts-RMS..) That's going to push my budget way up there on the amp. Plus the tweeters are 1".. I need 3/4" tweeters. Also, I wonder how deep they are.
Man,.. it's near impossible to figure out online what speakers are good vs. others. As everyone has a different opinion,.. and about the only way you can be "sure" on something is to buy $400-500+ speakers.

The CDT is a brand I've never heard of.. are they quality products? Kicker is a brand I used to think was crap,.. years ago.... but I guess their products have come up as the years have gone by.
80rms each

Just ran by these speakers.. they supposedly fit with a one inch spacer.
JL Audio C2650 Evolution™ C2 Series 6-3/4" component speaker system at Crutchfield.com

What do you guys think about this component set?
Nothing special, that was my first set of comps, dont recommend i had them amped and they have a DECENT mid bass sound but the tweeter is semi harsh even on the -3db setting and eq-ing i personally never had a phd set but my older brother who is more of a sq guy, i dont know what set they are but those suckers get decently loud and sound dam good doing it

I recommend you bite the bullet and plan to modify your panels to fit 1" tweeters. You get better sound with the slightly larger tweeter when it's paired with a 6.5" woofer, because a 1" tweeter has an easier time of blending in with the woofers. Granted, this is a generalization, but it's you mostly see 2-way 6.5" components with 1" tweeters.

Out of all these speaker sets, none of them require you to match the speaker's RMS power ratings to the amplifier's RMS power ratings. Run 50W RMS or run 150W RMS, both ways will work. We look to the bigger amplifier if we're concerned about clean power on music that has a wide dynamic range. If you're listening to the radio, pop music, SiriusXM, or basically any music that sounds the same volume from beginning to end, the benefits of buying more power will be less apparent. If you intentionally seek out better recordings that have good dynamic range, that's when the extra amplifier headroom is most noticable.

Thanks for all your replies.. I'll be individually looking at your speakers.

I talked to a guy about these:

Rockford Fosgate T165 s T1 Power 6 5" Component Car Audio Speaker T1652S T1652 S | eBay

Rockford Fosgate 6.5" with 1" tweeters.

Strangely enough these tweeters fit without modification in the car. They are a little pricier.. but I recognize the brand.. and he brags about them. Now, how that stacks up to your scrutiny is another matter. What do you say about the Fosgates?

Eventually I'll find the right set of components.. as you can see I'm not in a huge rush //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Thanks for all your replies.. I'll be individually looking at your speakers.
I talked to a guy about these:

Rockford Fosgate T165 s T1 Power 6 5" Component Car Audio Speaker T1652S T1652 S | eBay

Rockford Fosgate 6.5" with 1" tweeters.

Strangely enough these tweeters fit without modification in the car. They are a little pricier.. but I recognize the brand.. and he brags about them. Now, how that stacks up to your scrutiny is another matter. What do you say about the Fosgates?

Eventually I'll find the right set of components.. as you can see I'm not in a huge rush //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
I don't care for them much. They sound a bit bright to me. But it's not my ears that would be hearing them it's yours Try to hear them if your interested in them

I recommend you bite the bullet and plan to modify your panels to fit 1" tweeters. You get better sound with the slightly larger tweeter when it's paired with a 6.5" woofer, because a 1" tweeter has an easier time of blending in with the woofers. Granted, this is a generalization, but it's you mostly see 2-way 6.5" components with 1" tweeters.
If I have to, I have to. I don't have the equipment to do so,.. other than using a dremel and hoping to god I don't over do it,.. Or open it up proper, but it not exactly be smooth when mounted. I'm really just trying to search through the kabillion 6.5" component sets out there to find one that has a good sound and fits decently in this car.. which is why I'm taking my time,.. running them by you guys and continue to research them and talk to others as well. The install is going to be my first, my first on ripping the interior of my brand new car apart .. (shiver).. first wiring of amps, car speakers, and so on. So if I can help it (and I know with enough looking I can find a set that meets you guys high standards *and* actually fits in the car without cutting it up or having to use some molding to make the cut look right after I do it, etc.) -- Essentially, I can already tell this is going to be a 2-3 day job for me in the garage with the car apart.. trying to do a lot of planning before I undo the first bolt or panel to make the install go as "expected" if you know what I mean.

For computer systems I design,.. the more I plan the better the build goes whether it's a 4 grand server or a 2 grand gaming machine. Don't do your planning and you invariably end up not being able to complete,.. or it doesn't perform as you need... etc. You obviously can't "plan" for equipment coming damaged, but other than that.. I really believe in diligent planning going a long way.

Again the option is also always on the table to bring this car to a local shop and let them basically pick the speakers and it's basically a hope and pray it sounds half way decent, is tuned right, and the car gets back in my hands undamaged.

Out of all these speaker sets, none of them require you to match the speaker's RMS power ratings to the amplifier's RMS power ratings. Run 50W RMS or run 150W RMS, both ways will work. We look to the bigger amplifier if we're concerned about clean power on music that has a wide dynamic range. If you're listening to the radio, pop music, SiriusXM, or basically any music that sounds the same volume from beginning to end, the benefits of buying more power will be less apparent. If you intentionally seek out better recordings that have good dynamic range, that's when the extra amplifier headroom is most noticable.
As for RMS ratings.. I'm not set on 100watts RMS, it just seems that all the speaker sets that get recommended or I find that have good stats and reputation are 100watts RMS. If they are 70-100watts matters not to me,.. In fact the Rockford Fosgate component set that fits in the car (and has a 1" tweeter) is 85watts RMS,.. that doesn't bug me in the least. I'll still use same amp.. and just gives me more head room with gains likely set lower.

And, what I listen to is not talk Radio.. while I have Satellite radio,.. I don't pay for it (it's still running from the prev. owners subscription).. and frankly the quality isn't great and it's not impressing me even with the variety. Point is,.. I listen to primarily a 16 Gig USB stick with high quality songs (albeit compressed as MP3's are.. but I make an effort to get the highest bitrate I can) -- And I have a large CD collection I use as well. Radio comes on very rarely.. be it FM or Satellite.

Music Genre is Alternative Rock, Rock, Clean Vocalists, Accoustical,.. No country, very RARELY rap (we're talking maybe 2-3 songs of RAP out of 13,000). Some bands just to throw some out there would be -- Dave Mathews Band (DMB is nice and clean believe it or not),.. Pearl Jam, Sara Bareilles, Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Tool, 311, Alter Bridge, Black Crows, RATM, Chevelle, and on the list goes.

I don't care for them much. They sound a bit bright to me. But it's not my ears that would be hearing them it's yours Try to hear them if your interested in them
Thanks for your valued input.. I think I actually may like Bright.. I'm usually always turning treble settings up higher than anyone else I know.. That equate to bright? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

These have 1" Treated-Cloth Dome tweeters (I'm assuming this is not a "bad" thing, and makes them a little less harsh than some tweeters). Also I noticed the tweeters have : " 3 level tweeter attenuation" -- I'm assuming this means you can dial them back physically based on my use/understanding of attenuation in my everyday work.

Thanks for your valued input.. I think I actually may like Bright.. I'm usually always turning treble settings up higher than anyone else I know.. That equate to bright? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
These have 1" Treated-Cloth Dome tweeters (I'm assuming this is not a "bad" thing, and makes them a little less harsh than some tweeters). Also I noticed the tweeters have : " 3 level tweeter attenuation" -- I'm assuming this means you can dial them back physically based on my use/understanding of attenuation in my everyday work.
The attenuation allows you to dial them back a bit yes placement is a hugh factor in the way the tweets will sound harsh or not I prefer soft silk dome myself most others are pretty harsh to my ears.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.