Compare 2 Setups RF/JL

For what you get JL's are pricey. I won't get another set unless it is W6's or W7's for a steal. I had W3's and they sound good and can get loud, but never had the deep in your chest punch that I like. I always felt that they were just slightly lacking in that respect. No one ever said that was is put in here is law. He asked what we thought so people gave their opinions. If you like JL's then recommend them.

I'm not going to recommend them soley because i'm sure he doesn't want to spend the money for them. If people have the cash to blow on them, then by all means get them. My local shop made 2 JL W3's louder than **** on 1k. Hitting 145's on music.

I'll have to look further into those Daytons (not that i dont believe you, i just never decide without some research) I might skip on those JL's then, but whats your opinion of the RX2s?
I'm running the Daytons...solid subs. They're definitely worth a look especially with your budget.

So i picked up those HX2's and man they are heavy. I'm actually thinking it might be a little to much lol. I haven't really hooked them up yet (tried hooking them up to a computer power supply cause thats how I test my subs and amps real quick before moving to my car or where ever) but I think the wire is to thin to give the amp sufficient power because it turns off. It works but i'm just using some small Remote sized wire (that worked for my lower wattage amps) that I had coming from the computer power supply. I'm thinking its just not thick enough to give that amp enough power to stay on. Which makes me nervous about my car battery getting the **** kicked out of it. Maybe i'll resell them and pick up a pair of those 10in Daytons you guys are talking about. I've never ran 10s and never really researched about the difference in the size of the woofer makes (and it would be nice to possibly get some of my trunk space back). What do you guys think, i'm not looking for something to shake my car apart, I just want something that hits hard enough to feel, but stays nice and tight. Those daytons fit that bill? I'm just mostly worried about having to get and expensive battery/high output alternator and thats something I'd rather not do

**EDIT**

I just tried those subwoofers through the Kenwood KAC 9105D with the same thin wires and it never shut off once...? Maybe i'll just keep the subwoofers with this amp and see if I can just sell that HiFonics.....

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, don't hook your amp back up to your computer power supply. That is a bad idea and can mess the amp up. Especially using the really thin wires. That is a quick way to mess things up.

I think you will be fine if you just do the big 3 upgrade which would cost you maybe 30 bucks. Doing that ensures that you get the most out of your stock electrical system. With casual listening on that system I think you will be ok. Just don't sit at idle and turn it full tilt for an hour and you'll be good. That is dependent of course on what kind of car you have and how much the stock alt puts out, but generally with the load that your system will pull you will be fine. You can buy a DMM for 10-15 bucks and set the output of your amp also to a level that can easily be supported by your stock system.

Kind of forgot to ask this but what voice coil config are your subs? That will determine your wiring options for your amp and how much power it pulls

So i picked up those HX2's and man they are heavy. I'm actually thinking it might be a little to much lol. I haven't really hooked them up yet (tried hooking them up to a computer power supply cause thats how I test my subs and amps real quick before moving to my car or where ever) but I think the wire is to thin to give the amp sufficient power because it turns off. It works but i'm just using some small Remote sized wire (that worked for my lower wattage amps) that I had coming from the computer power supply. I'm thinking its just not thick enough to give that amp enough power to stay on. Which makes me nervous about my car battery getting the **** kicked out of it. Maybe i'll resell them and pick up a pair of those 10in Daytons you guys are talking about. I've never ran 10s and never really researched about the difference in the size of the woofer makes (and it would be nice to possibly get some of my trunk space back). What do you guys think, i'm not looking for something to shake my car apart, I just want something that hits hard enough to feel, but stays nice and tight. Those daytons fit that bill? I'm just mostly worried about having to get and expensive battery/high output alternator and thats something I'd rather not do
**EDIT**

I just tried those subwoofers through the Kenwood KAC 9105D with the same thin wires and it never shut off once...? Maybe i'll just keep the subwoofers with this amp and see if I can just sell that HiFonics.....
Deff see about a better made amp,look into a mono block for sure..SStream amps the newer one have great power/Okur(disturbed can quote you on the performance of his)Even some old school powerhouses,at a decent budget

I think you will be fine if you just do the big 3 upgrade which would cost you maybe 30 bucks. Doing that ensures that you get the most out of your stock electrical system. With casual listening on that system I think you will be ok. Just don't sit at idle and turn it full tilt for an hour and you'll be good. That is dependent of course on what kind of car you have and how much the stock alt puts out, but generally with the load that your system will pull you will be fine. You can buy a DMM for 10-15 bucks and set the output of your amp also to a level that can easily be supported by your stock system.

Kind of forgot to ask this but what voice coil config are your subs? That will determine your wiring options for your amp and how much power it pulls
Whats the big 3 upgrade that only costs $30? I have a 1998 Nissan 200sx (essentially a 2 door Sentra). The battery is one I got last summer from Triple A when I had one (that was in there for awhile) die on me. This new one has like a 5 year warranty so I figured if it dies on me before 5 yrs is up, I can just get a new one free, but i never looked into the Red Top/Yellow..etc batteries that you see most people using with systems. I'm not sure what the output of the alternator, but I replaced it years ago (at least 5) with one of those standard refurbs from Advanced Auto Parts. I may actually have a Digital Multimeter in my garage somewhere, but where should I look to find the information on regulating and figuring out what the output should be for me?

Currently i'm running (the original red pentagon 1200w) Sony Xplods (SVC, 350w RMS i believe) in sealed box with a Alpine MRD-M301 amp (it was running 4 Ohm at 175w, but I recently changed the subs to run in parallel to get 2 ohms @ 350w RMS from the amp). Then in between the amp and battery I have a Tsunami 1 Farad cap (i got it before I learned they don't really do anything, however it did actually help from keeping my headlights from slightly dimming when the bass hit hard).

Right now (cause I might sell the Xplods to a friend) the plan was to run these Rockford HX2's (DVC, 500w RMS) in sealed box, with the Kenwood KAC 9105D in 4 ohm at first then maybe run them @2 ohm for 900w RMS which I think will be decent enough for those HX2's. But I definietely would like to get rid of that Hifonics, I haven't really done anything with it, but I just don't like it....i'm totally judging the book by its cover on this one tho, i just liked how it had a remote gain switch to put up by the drivers seat. I may try to find a nicer amp that runs at least 1000w RMS in 2ohm with one of those remotes (maybe like that JL Audio i mentioned in the original post) but first I have to sell the Hifonics to get some funds back.....seems like a relatively decent plan or does anyone know something I don't that I may benefit from knowing and change my mind lol....(and yes those Daytons are still in the back of my mind cause I was thinking about maybe switching to some nice 10s to get a little trunk space back, i've always just rocked 12s) Oh and I was going to add a Pioneer GM-3400T amp i have for my door speakers, but once I do that, im going to be in the market for a nice pair of door speakers cause i'm just running these stock 50w Cerwin Vegas that came with the car, i never changed them.

Deff see about a better made amp,look into a mono block for sure..SStream amps the newer one have great power/Okur(disturbed can quote you on the performance of his)Even some old school powerhouses,at a decent budget
Yeah for my subs i'm definitely going mono block, as all these amps I have are, but I heard good things about that Kenwood so i was just gonna use that until I find a nice new one that fits my budget and has the specs I mentioned above in what i'd be looking for.

man I run two 12" hx2's off a memphis 16-mc2000d in a ported enclosure and they will get loud but they don't sound to good doing it, at least not as good as others I have had but they will take a beating!

Are you looking at buying new or used? What is your budget? You should look into some of the Dayton HO's. Cheap, amazing SQ, and can pound
Dayton Audio RSS265HO-4 10" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-462

These with that JL amp will sound great and get loud doing it
LOL! How in the heck can *you* recommend Dayton HO's when you don't have them? How can you say they have amazing SQ and can pound? Seriously? This is hysterical. Just 11 hours ago another poster recommend them to you here...

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/542829-leaning-towards-rf-right-now.html#post7993818

This is just too funny.

LOL! How in the heck can *you* recommend Dayton HO's when you don't have them? How can you say they have amazing SQ and can pound? Seriously? This is hysterical. Just 11 hours ago another poster recommend them to you here...
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/subwoofers/542829-leaning-towards-rf-right-now.html#post7993818

This is just too funny.
Stick around here long enough and read jackass and you will see that a lot of people recommend them. There are a lot of subs, speakers, amps and other pieces of equipment that people recommend that other people haven't heard. I didnt say that I am an expert on them and that I had heard them. But I have yet to see a negative review or seen anything bad said about them yet. And the other guy didnt need to recommend them to me in that thread. I knew about them before that guy recommended them. If you look at the times that I had posted each one of those I recommended the Dayton subs to him before they were recommended to me. The reason I wasn't going to use them is you don't see a lot of them going for sale on here and buying new they are out of my price range. So next time you want to be a sarcastic ****, get your facts straight.

Stick around here long enough and read jackass and you will see that a lot of people recommend them. There are a lot of subs, speakers, amps and other pieces of equipment that people recommend that other people haven't heard. I didnt say that I am an expert on them and that I had heard them. But I have yet to see a negative review or seen anything bad said about them yet. And the other guy didnt need to recommend them to me in that thread. I knew about them before that guy recommended them. If you look at the times that I had posted each one of those I recommended the Dayton subs to him before they were recommended to me. The reason I wasn't going to use them is you don't see a lot of them going for sale on here and buying new they are out of my price range. So next time you want to be a sarcastic ****, get your facts straight.
LOL! Seriously man. You are too funny! If a person didn't know any better they would think your opinion was based on first hand experience with them, but that's not the case. I see now... you repeat... you give advice based on what others say, not on your own experience. You do so just to feel like you belong and contribute. I know the type. The person that recommend them to you is a good guy. He has experience with them. If you know about them you wouldn't have had to ask him about them which you did. BTW, I wasn't being sarcastic. Maybe it should have went like this... "You may want to check in to Dayoton HO's. I've heard good things about them." Not this baloney... "You should look into some of the Dayton HO's. Cheap, amazing SQ, and can pound Dayton Audio RSS265HO-4 10" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-462 These with that JL amp will sound great and get loud doing it"

You do a disservice with that. But, get mad. That's ok with me.

LOL! Seriously man. You are too funny! If a person didn't know any better they would think your opinion was based on first hand experience with them, but that's not the case. I see now... you repeat... you give advice based on what others say, not on your own experience. You do so just to feel like you belong and contribute. I know the type. The person that recommend them to you is a good guy. He has experience with them. If you know about them you wouldn't have had to ask him about them which you did. BTW, I wasn't being sarcastic. Maybe it should have went like this... "You may want to check in to Dayoton HO's. I've heard good things about them." Not this baloney... "You should look into some of the Dayton HO's. Cheap, amazing SQ, and can pound Dayton Audio RSS265HO-4 10" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-462 These with that JL amp will sound great and get loud doing it"
You do a disservice with that. But, get mad. That's ok with me.
I don't get mad. It a car audio forum, that is something 12 year old girls and you would do. I didnt ask him anything about the daytons in my post. I asked how much shipped and if he had anymore pics. I read a lot on here and have read what they can do and what everyone's recommendations are. What I do have experience with I say. So what if I pass on recommendations and advice from other people. I'm trying to help the guy out. So what if I don't have first hand experience with it, I also don't have first hand experience with Sundown products, but with everything that gets said on here about their stuff I would recommend their products to other people. So you can complain about me giving advice all you want, I am trying to help the guy out. Until you have something to contribute, GTFO. I don't need to feel like I belong or contribute, I want to contribute because I have learned a lot by reading this forum. But next time I will be sure to specifically state whether I have or have not had first hand experience with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is an Autotek SX2200 on eBay:yumyum:
Would this power those HX2s? Its only 400w RMS (200 per channel)...is what it says anyway.

man I run two 12" hx2's off a memphis 16-mc2000d in a ported enclosure and they will get loud but they don't sound to good doing it, at least not as good as others I have had but they will take a beating!
The dude I bought them off of said he thinks they sound better in a sealed (as i've actually read most people saying during my research of them). I've always wanted ported so I could get that deeper boom, but for right now i'm going to be rocking them in sealed. I mean they gotta be better in ever way to the Sony Xplods they are replacing lol

----

Just wanted to say experience or not with the equipment I do appreciate the recommendations. Theres no need for arguement but I get what BlackHawk is saying, you did come off as sounding like you had experience with them. Only problem is since they aren't very popular (as in being in local stores and such) theres no way for me to test them to hear what they sound like and if I don't end up liking them, can they be returned easy without a return shipping fee?...thats the only thing that keeps me really from ordering sounds offline that I didn't get to sample.

To change the pace though, anyone have experience with the Kenwood KFC-W3012 subs? I came across a pair that i might be able to get pretty cheap or should I avoid them....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.