Compare 2 Setups RF/JL

qwiktune
10+ year member

Ninja Samurai
So i'm looking to upgrade my system and found both these setups at $400 each

First is two Rockford RX2 12's in a sealed box with a Hifonics Brutus 1500D

Second is two JL Audio 13w1v2 in a ported box with a JL Audio J2 1000.1 amp

I'm probably looking for SQ more so than SPL, but i'm opened minded as to anything else and was just wondering what you guys thought about each setup for the price. Out of all those companies I've only had experience with RF and it was an old 500a2 Punch amp that I loved....

2 SSA Dcon 12's in a ported boxDCON-12 D4

And a used amp of the forum or ebay putting out 500-750 @ 4 or 1 ohms.
I'm not familiar with those, I assume you are a fan of these? I was looking at picking up one of those newer (used) Kenwood Mono D amps that put out 900 RMS cause guy is selling for $45 and I've heard good things about it. I mean can't beat that price.

I'd do 1 13w7 in an enclosure designed around your car. Then the jl 1000.
I don't have $700 to drop on one sub or I would already have one haha.

Although I'm definitely open to suggestions I was really wondering how these to would compare to each other. If it helps they would be in the trunk of a 98 Sentra

Are you looking at buying new or used? What is your budget? You should look into some of the Dayton HO's. Cheap, amazing SQ, and can poundDayton Audio RSS265HO-4 10" Reference HO Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-462

These with that JL amp will sound great and get loud doing it
I've heard of Dayton (never experienced them in person though). New or Used doesn't matter to me, as long as it works like it should I personally dont care what it looks like (although if its beat up that most likely reflects how well it was taken care of), I mean i've have my current setup for a couple years and it looks almost like the day I bought it. I would say total i wouldn't like to spend more than $400. I understand people recommending things with I appreciate but I'm most interested in hearing why I should go this way over the other. I just know I want something with a nice tight punch when it hits that I can feel, but I dont need to go deaf or have my car shake to pieces. My research has me thinking those RX2 bang real heavy but the sound quality suffers a little (and are obviously power hungry) and I've heard JL Audio has nice SQ as opposed to SPL but can still throw knock outs.....this would also be for daily use and I really would like to not have to upgrade for awhile.....(i'm thinking i'm going to be in the market for some nice door speakers as well since i just have some 50w Cerwin Vegas that came with the car).

I've heard of Dayton (never experienced them in person though). New or Used doesn't matter to me, as long as it works like it should I personally dont care what it looks like (although if its beat up that most likely reflects how well it was taken care of), I mean i've have my current setup for a couple years and it looks almost like the day I bought it. I would say total i wouldn't like to spend more than $400. I understand people recommending things with I appreciate but I'm most interested in hearing why I should go this way over the other. I just know I want something with a nice tight punch when it hits that I can feel, but I dont need to go deaf or have my car shake to pieces. My research has me thinking those RX2 bang real heavy but the sound quality suffers a little (and are obviously power hungry) and I've heard JL Audio has nice SQ as opposed to SPL but can still throw knock outs.....this would also be for daily use and I really would like to not have to upgrade for awhile.....(i'm thinking i'm going to be in the market for some nice door speakers as well since i just have some 50w Cerwin Vegas that came with the car).
Those JL's won't sound too bad but will lack in the punch. I have ran JL W3's before and I loved the sound quality but they just didnt hit deep and low. The Daytons are always highly recommended on here. They have amazing sound quality, you can run them ported or sealed and really no reason to upgrade unless you decide later that you want more SPL. But they are great subs for the money. I would recommend those Daytons and then go onto sonicelectronix and you can find the MB Quart ONX amps on there. The MB Quart amps can't be beat for the price for their mix of SQ/SPL. I would recommend getting the 1500 and wire it to two ohms so you get around 1k rms, and run that to the daytons. The Daytons again can be run in ported or sealed giving you more installations options based on your space requirements/limitations.

Those JL's won't sound too bad but will lack in the punch. I have ran JL W3's before and I loved the sound quality but they just didnt hit deep and low. The Daytons are always highly recommended on here. They have amazing sound quality, you can run them ported or sealed and really no reason to upgrade unless you decide later that you want more SPL. But they are great subs for the money. I would recommend those Daytons and then go onto sonicelectronix and you can find the MB Quart ONX amps on there. The MB Quart amps can't be beat for the price for their mix of SQ/SPL. I would recommend getting the 1500 and wire it to two ohms so you get around 1k rms, and run that to the daytons. The Daytons again can be run in ported or sealed giving you more installations options based on your space requirements/limitations.
I'll have to look further into those Daytons (not that i dont believe you, i just never decide without some research) I might skip on those JL's then, but whats your opinion of the RX2s?

I'll have to look further into those Daytons (not that i dont believe you, i just never decide without some research) I might skip on those JL's then, but whats your opinion of the RX2s?
That is smart, plan your system out. Get all the info you can on stuff. Look through the forum and you will see a lot of recommendations for the Daytons for people with your needs. I seriously doubt you will be disappointed with those. You can just click the link I posted above and read all of the reviews on there.

When you say RX2, is that the model number or do you mean R2? I'm not familiar with an RX2 model number so I can't give you any info on those. The R2's however will be about the same as the JL's as far as output is concerned, slightly less SQ, probably not enough of a difference to even notice.

i think I'm gonna grab those HX2s and just sell that hifonics amp and box, what amp would you suggest to power them? I have a Kenwood Kac9105D but I'm not sure that's big enough?

I'm sick of people saying JL lack this and that or can't get as low as those.

If the JL's box is built to spec and built correctly, then the JL's for sure. They can get just as loud and low as any other woofer out there. Just give them proper enclosure.

Everyone see's JL's in proffessional installs or in SQ installs and therefore automatically suggest that they are strictly for SQ and are extremely pricey.

For what you get JL's are pricey. I won't get another set unless it is W6's or W7's for a steal. I had W3's and they sound good and can get loud, but never had the deep in your chest punch that I like. I always felt that they were just slightly lacking in that respect. No one ever said that was is put in here is law. He asked what we thought so people gave their opinions. If you like JL's then recommend them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.