Coaxial Suggestions Needed

I know what you mean. I'm a fan of rear fill myself. When I first got into this, people constantly told me; "with a good front stage, you won't need rears". I still call BS. My last setup was full SQ and the front stage sounded amazing to me .....but I still was planning on adding rear fill. The system seems incomplete without it and most of the people who say not to run it can't give u a valid reason not to besides its cheaper (which in some cases is enough lol).
Seems like we got identical views on car audio. My other car is my SQ setup. I put comps in the front & rear with dynamat all over. For me, it's natural to have rear speakers as well. I'm not looking to achieve anything close to the SQ setup in my other car, but I just want it to sound good. The midbass of the Pioneers are really tempting, but the BA's seem to have good midbass also. The BA's & Pioneers can both be found for great prices. I know those BA's can handle probably 2x the 35W RMS they have listed.

Seems like we got identical views on car audio. My other car is my SQ setup. I put comps in the front & rear with dynamat all over. For me, it's natural to have rear speakers as well. I'm not looking to achieve anything close to the SQ setup in my other car, but I just want it to sound good. The midbass of the Pioneers are really tempting, but the BA's seem to have good midbass also. The BA's & Pioneers can both be found for great prices. I know those BA's can handle probably 2x the 35W RMS they have listed.
Both sets will handle way more power than they're rated for. I ran 175wrms per side to my SE coaxs with 63hz HPF and had zero issues! I also used the Pioneers mids actively, same amp 175wrms per side to the mids alone, same xover point....zero issues!

Both sets can have great midbass, just, in my experience its easier to get it from the Pioneers and they sounded like mini-subs in my doors when I turned the HPF off just to see what they could do. The Bostons like a good door seal and they'll pound out some nice midbass. When I was testing them in my room in that box in the vid I posted up there, I ran some test tones through them full tilt and they made my glass doors on my entertainment center rattle a little bit. Pretty impressive for 6.5 coaxs on about 50wrms in my room and it only got better once I put them in my car on way more power.

Both sets will handle way more power than they're rated for. I ran 175wrms per side to my SE coaxs with 63hz HPF and had zero issues! I also used the Pioneers mids actively, same amp 175wrms per side to the mids alone, same xover point....zero issues!
Both sets can have great midbass, just, in my experience its easier to get it from the Pioneers and they sounded like mini-subs in my doors when I turned the HPF off just to see what they could do. The Bostons like a good door seal and they'll pound out some nice midbass. When I was testing them in my room in that box in the vid I posted up there, I ran some test tones through them full tilt and they made my glass doors on my entertainment center rattle a little bit. Pretty impressive for 6.5 coaxs on about 50wrms in my room and it only got better once I put them in my car on way more power.
Choosing speakers can't get any more difficult, lol. The speakers aren't going to be sealed at all since I'm just gonna put them where the factory speaker holes are. The Pioneers are definitely gonna produce the better midbass. BUT, my priority with speakers is always clarity. I like midbass too, but I really like loud, clear highs. Is there any one you like better as far as vocals?

Choosing speakers can't get any more difficult, lol. The speakers aren't going to be sealed at all since I'm just gonna put them where the factory speaker holes are. The Pioneers are definitely gonna produce the better midbass. BUT, my priority with speakers is always clarity. I like midbass too, but I really like loud, clear highs. Is there any one you like better as far as vocals?
For vocals strictly.... ID CTXs > Boston SEs > Pioneer D-series

The Bostons and Pioneers are pretty close vocally. The only reason I put the Pioneers below the SE's is because of the EQ work needed around 2.5khz. This may not be as evident to you though, especially running the coaxs in stock door locations. But, vocally, I say the ID's all day over both. I just hooked my ID CTX coaxs back up and am testing them again....

Cool. I gotta watch some vids if you put some more up. I just did some price checking on 2 pairs of the Pioneers & 2 pairs of the BA's. Looks like the BA's would be $35 cheaper. It's now a choice of one or the other. Now the real hard part is finding a MB Quart DSC4.125

Cool. I gotta watch some vids if you put some more up. I just did some price checking on 2 pairs of the Pioneers & 2 pairs of the BA's. Looks like the BA's would be $35 cheaper. It's now a choice of one or the other. Now the real hard part is finding a MB Quart DSC4.125
I'll try and get some vids of the CTX coaxs up tonight. (if u want to hear them on a specific song let me know, I probably have it around here somewhere) I need to find my cable to run my laptop into my home amp so I can try some different filters on them and see how they do with a high pass because I can tell u now, they DO NOT like being run with no hi pass....they start to distort/break up when u go to crank it and they'll bottom out if you're not careful (granted they're getting 200wrms, completely free air)

I'll try and get some vids of the CTX coaxs up tonight. (if u want to hear them on a specific song let me know, I probably have it around here somewhere) I need to find my cable to run my laptop into my home amp so I can try some different filters on them and see how they do with a high pass because I can tell u now, they DO NOT like being run with no hi pass....they start to distort/break up when u go to crank it and they'll bottom out if you're not careful (granted they're getting 200wrms, completely free air)
I listen to mainly acid jazz so any track from Zero 7 or Morcheeba would be cool. I really don't know much about tuning and filters, but I'm sure it takes some good tuning to get that perfect sound. I hate distortion & last thing I need is speakers bottoming.

Forgot to mention the midbass is insane on this set. Laid back tweets. Also 2 ohms, so you will get a little more power. Nothing againt Boston, but not really impressed by the low line offerings. For the price these aren't close..

I would look into the jbl power series. They will handle quit a bit more power than the bostons, have an external crossover, textile dome tweets, and better built. JBL P662s 6-1/2" Shallow-Mount 2-way Power Series Car Speakers (050036930048) | eBay
Forgot to mention the midbass is insane on this set. Laid back tweets. Also 2 ohms, so you will get a little more power. Nothing againt Boston, but not really impressed by the low line offerings. For the price these aren't close..
I really appreciate the recommendation. I'm checking them out right now. How would these compare to the Pioneers?

I come bearing a gift //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif...I found my cable to try a filter on it for a better video....this with them high passed at 100hz. They sound much better and I can't get them to distort.....this video is with them pretty loud, not wide open but turned up pretty high. The video doesn't do them justice as they really surprised me with the filter on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6dFvmFnyxo&feature=plcp&context=C4222b2dVDvjVQa1PpcFN0v_hLbMqgffzBfJHZI2s2 Jov7OliQM7o%3D

I really appreciate the recommendation. I'm checking them out right now. How would these compare to the Pioneers?
The pioneers are a nice set, however, no passive crossover, and the jbls have better cooling.. You probably cant see it in the pictures, but the power series has a real nice cooling system in place, and remember they are 2 ohms, so still should get a little more power out of the set. Something to consider.. Good luck

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.