Coaxial Suggestions Needed

imp4pdabest
10+ year member

I GOT DA BURNA
Looking for 6.5 & 6x9 coaxials, budget = $70 max per pair

I'm looking to buy 2 pairs of coaxials for my daily driver. I'm staying away from comps due to my car (Camry) not having factory tweeter locations. Budget is $70 max per each pair since this is just my M-F vehicle. I plan on picking up an aftermarket HU & a 4ch (MB Quart DSC4125) to power the speakers. According to Crutchfield I can fit 6.5s in the front doors & 6x9s in the rear. So far I've found these 2:

Boston se65 Boston Acoustics SE65 SE Series 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers

Any suggestions advice would be great. Thanks.

Funny that you commented in here. I was reading through threads for almost an hour before I made this thread and I see you definitely like the Bostons. Any other good ones you'd recommend? Just trying to view all options before I decide.

Those image dynamics I linked up there are good. I just got a few sets of the CTXs in and have been testing them a little each day.

Also look into the Pioneer TS D1602R

I have experience with each of these and, for what u pay, I think they're all very nice.

I got @av83 to try the Boston SE's and he says he likes them.

Here's a quick vid I did of my SE's a while back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLFqGe_II44

Here's one of my ID's, these are the components, but it gives u an idea. I may do a vid of the coaxs later:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdRebmgsWo0&feature=channel&list=UL

I don't have a video of the Pioneers alone...only a vid of them being used as midbass in a 3 way front stage. There's a good few vids of em on youtube though and people who have actually heard them can verify they're solid budget speakers for sure.

I've always been interested in trying an ID product since I've always heard good things. The Boston SE line doesn't seem to offer a 6x9. I've never been a fan of Pioneer speakers in the past, but I've never heard that TS line. All 3 seems to be good choices from the consistency in reviews. I'd like to get matching 6.5s and 6x9s.

Just seen the vids, both are sick for the price. But why'd you show me the ID comps? Now I want some, lol. I was gonna check out the Pioneers on youtube next. Looks like I'm gonna have to come up in price for some 6x9s. Those Pioneers seem to have really good midbass.

That's the reason a lot of ppl won't give the Pioneers a shot is because of the name and that the lower lines are sold at walmart but they're solid, and I'm a picky dude.

I can say of the 3, the Pioneers have the strongest midbass easily but also the midrange takes a little EQ work if you're pretty picky (like I am).

The Bostons will give u decent midbass but take a good seal to do it, and will take oodles of power and the tweeters are very pleasant, even though some say Boston tweets are "bright".

The ID 6 coaxs are between the two as far as midbass goes and the midrange performance is probably the most natural sounding with a very good tweeter to boot. Con would be low end extension. I haven't had a chance to play around with xovers on them but the midrange will get distorted pretty easily if u crank it with no hi pass (which isnt a big deal as long as u high pass them).

As far as true power handling: I'd say the Pioneers handle power the best, followed by the Bostons then the ID's. Either should handle your planned amp fine, though.

Just seen the vids, both are sick for the price. But why'd you show me the ID comps? Now I want some, lol. I was gonna check out the Pioneers on youtube next. Looks like I'm gonna have to come up in price for some 6x9s. Those Pioneers seem to have really good midbass.
Get the ID comps lol You won't be let down. I can say the comps are a pretty big step up from the CTX 6 coaxs. and yea, finding 6x9s for that price is pretty hard.

What some ppl do, that u may want to consider...is dropping the rears or leaving them stock and spending more on the fronts... allowing you to get the ID comps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Thanks for more detail about them. I keep reading the Pioneers have great midbass for coaxials. I got no problem tweaking the EQ to get the desired sound. I'm probably gonna rule out the Bostons based on the SE line not offering a 6x9. Is there a 6x9 version of the Pioneer TS D1602R?

princ3cmo good lookin' on the links for the 6x9s. The Bostons are back in the mix!

I know a lot of people say focus on front stage, and just leave the rears open in you have a sub, or put some coaxials back there. It might be due to not the best tuning, but I have some friends with setups like that and it just doesn't sound as balanced(if that makes sense).

princ3cmo good lookin' on the links for the 6x9s. The Bostons are back in the mix!
I know a lot of people say focus on front stage, and just leave the rears open in you have a sub, or put some coaxials back there. It might be due to not the best tuning, but I have some friends with setups like that and it just doesn't sound as balanced(if that makes sense).
I know what you mean. I'm a fan of rear fill myself. When I first got into this, people constantly told me; "with a good front stage, you won't need rears". I still call BS. My last setup was full SQ and the front stage sounded amazing to me .....but I still was planning on adding rear fill. The system seems incomplete without it and most of the people who say not to run it can't give u a valid reason not to besides its cheaper (which in some cases is enough lol).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.