Class D Amp For Pro Mids?

SeniorXJ
10+ year member

I'm trying to find a 4-channel amp that has more power than what I already have but cannot find one in class AB. My question is, how would using a ClassD 4 channel amp for my mids and highs workout? I'm looking at a JP 234 or a Sundown SFB 1000.4D to power a set of 8" Beymas and 3" peerless tweets. I may add in a set of 6.5s as well.

Thanks 👍

how would using a ClassD 4 channel amp for my mids and highs workout?
There are now alot of full range amps that are class D. They sound pretty clear, especially if you use a DSP. I use passive crossovers and can hear a difference, but if I was not the installer, I doubt I could identify what class the amp is.

I don’t like the cheap class D amp I’m currently running, but some are good. I really liked my old Xtant 1.1 amps. Very good sounding class D on mids and highs. The sundown class d would probably sound fine.

DD has or at least had a class D 4 channel, and it sounded pretty awesome. I got to hear it in person, I think more than one of them. I think you'll definitely get what you pay for if you buy class D.

I really think any amplifier technology will sound good or good enough, as long as it's a well developed product with some effort and money put into it. Some class D's are half bridge and some are full bridge, and you can look at class A, B and AB and look at the way those amps function with their internal component layout, and the full bridge class D amps actually seem to function more closely to a typical 4 channel amp, with the way the amp boards are laid out and such. I say this in relationship to mid range and tweeter performance. Some class D amps are internally wired differently than others, and the power supplies inside the amp function differently, with the way energy flows through the board and your 12v system.

So, my point is just still that I think you're going to get what you pay for. There's a lot of amplifier types, and most of them seem to work well, as long as they are actually well designed/produced products. Just study the amps specs and company reputation, compare the amps, and try to find a price level of amp with the power you want that will produce the quality of sound you want.

I know there can be a debate on this but for any decent class d is gonna sound the same as class a/b. Unless you are comparing a trash class d to a really good a/b sure you will pick up sonic differences. I ran JL class a/b amps for years and made the switch over to D. I cant tell the difference

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...