Class AB or Class D?

dsw1204

CarAudio.com Elite
I am looking to purchase a new amp for my car. I currently have a very old Alpine 4-channel amp that I would like to replace. I am running some Infinity Kappa's in the doors with a couple of Eclipse 6X9's in back. No sub. My Alpine amp is running okay, I just would like a little more power.

Can someone tell me the difference between a Class AB amp and a Class D? My understanding is that Class D is more efficient than a Class AB, thus it may be a small (in physical size) amp. But, do I want a smaller sized amp? I am thinking that amps with bigger heat sinks will be less prone to clipping that smaller sized amps. So, is Class D a wise choice? My understanding, also, is that Class D used to be only for powering subs. But, now, you can find them in 4-channel amps. Is this a new development?

In my research, I am looking at a Rockford Fosgate R400-4D 400 Watt Full-Range Class-D 4-Channel Amplifier and I am also looking at a DB Drive A6 1200.4 Okur A6 Series 4 x 110-Watt 4-Channel Class AB amplifier. I know Rockford Fosgate but I have never heard of DB Drive. Has anyone heard of DB Drive? Are they in the same league as Rockford Fosgate?

Any input on any of these issues would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Where are all these myths coming from?!?!?!

Whoever told you larger heat sinks are less prone to clipping is literally the dumbest myth ive heard this year.

Thats like saying larger vehicles are less prone to low voltage issues.

They have absolutely nothing to do with each other...

To answer your question-

When it comes to mids and highs, it really doesnt matter.

Class d is more efficient and runs cooler which is GOOD if you are planning on mounting it in an otherwise poor location.

But the efficiency difference to save on power isnt enough to worry about.

Class d typically cost more but with better benefits of what i described.

If it has plenty of room to breathe, then purchase whichever topology is priced right and offers the right x_overs and power you want.

Thanks for the info shizzzon. Your info is helpful. The amp will go in the trunk, so the benefits of the class D really will not be all that great. Regarding my other inquiry, do you know anything about the DB Drive A6 1200.4 Okur A6 Series 4 x 110-Watt 4-Channel Class AB amplifier? I've never heard of this manufacturer before I started my research. Do you know anything about them?

dB drive is a 2nd tier brand IMO. They're trying to price things like they're a mainstream, but I don't see it.

That particular A6 4 ch looks to me to be over-rated and arguably over-priced. With the pair of 30A fuses it's highly unlikely to be capable of more than 600w rms, but their ratings are pretty vague. I guess the one that's supposed to be rms is their "rated" power of 95x4. Although it also references 110w x 4 and 225w x 4 -- I guess those are supposed to be peak/max??

At $150 (amazon) it's probably not a terrible deal, just not quite up to its specs -- like a lot of amps in that price range.

You might not even notice if adding a little more power.as for alpine, the older the model the better it is.keep the alpine and deaden doors,trunk,etc
Hi supra, Your suggestion is noted. I will definitely talk to my installer about deadening the doors and the trunk. However, my old Alpine only puts out 25 W per channel at 4 ohms. I was looking to go about 100 W per channel. Do you think that is a big enough increase in power output to make a difference in the sound leve. My Alpine amp is about 30 years old. When I got it, I totaled my car about three months after installing it. I took it out of the car and shelved it until a couple of years ago. That's how long it's been in my current car.

Thanks for the info, n2audio. I think I will stay away from that manufacture. I guess I will look more into Rockford Fosgate's 4-channel amps. Or, do you have any recommendations for a 100 W 4-channel amp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks supra, I was hoping you would say something like that. I still am going to have my installer look into deadening the doors. That probably will be as good A

an idea as switching out amps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then you two should contact Richard Clark and win $10,000 because nobody has ever distinguished a controlled test of ab vs d.

Thanks supra, I was hoping you would say something like that. I still am going to have my installer look into deadening the doors. That probably will be as good An idea as switching out amps.
I ran a gmd8604...100rms per @ 4ohm and it ran flawlessly and cool for a year. Nice amp for the money imo.

Then you two should contact Richard Clark and win $10,000 because nobody has ever distinguished a controlled test of ab vs d.
I'm glad to hear that. Because I can't hear the difference, but some of my buddies SWEAR they can. I figured it was just my ears were crap.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.