Class A--B amps

Keep in mind that amplifier is a class A/B amplifier. It is NOT a pure class A amplifier.

And I've yet to see any measurements indicating Soundstream amplifiers are not capable of the same "sound quality" as any other amplifier on the market.

And please don't refer to class D amplifiers as "digital".
are you saying me not to refer to class d as digital as i dont think i did as there are class d analouge and digital aswell as monoblocks in class AB and Class D and now class T it seems

I'm interested. Please elaborate. What do you consider a PURE class A amplifier?
A pure class A amplifier is an amplifier that never "falls out" of class A operation.

That Steg does not operate in class A for it's entire output range. At some point (it's claimed after 50w per channel in the literate) it falls out of class A operation. That's not a pure class A amplifier. It's a class A/B amplifier with a high bias.

I would actually like to see some independent tests of that amplifier as they claim they have developed a system to raise the efficiency and lower the current consumption of the class A operation dramatically allowing for the high class A power output of 100w which is unusually high for class A. I would be interested if it truly operates in class A up to 50w per channel as claimed. The only test I could find is not in English //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

are you saying me not to refer to class d as digital as i dont think i did as there are class d analouge and digital aswell as monoblocks in class AB and Class D and now class T it seems

but back in the real world Orion dude if you buy any amp it will be class ab except in the case of monoblocks where the majority is leaning towrds digital

The majority are leaning towards class D.

There are no digital audio amplifiers.

The original Pioneer ODR were true Pure Class A. They operated with maximum current draw at all times and had power ratings of something like 15W & 25W I believe. I don't believe anyone ever complained about them not having balls, either. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

The ODR amps were not your normal Class A by any means. The RS-A1 was the smaller one and was in fact a Class A amp. The A2 was a high biased Class A/B. The A1 adjusted the voltage rails according to the volume setting. The power supply was controlled by the onboard computer that was hooked into the data bus for the system. Volume was controlled digitally at the amp. D/A conversion was done onboard the amp. Crossover and time alignment function as well as EQ was done digitally onboard. It used a true Class A output stage though. Really high tech, very proprietary and at $1000 each way expensive. Looking at the review of the ODR system in the March/April '04 CSR right now.

The only system I remember being featured in CSR that had the full ODR setup, including those amps, was in a 4runner and the Soundcheck mentioned that the setup sounded great except in the dynamic range department where the it just ran out of steam if you turned it up much above normal conversational volume. They attributed it directly to having very little power (read no headroom).

Hey guys, I am doing a system in my new Subaru and I have been searching amps. Would using a class A/B on the mids/highs make a total difference in SQ? I'm guess yes, but I thought I'd ask. The only company I have found that makes 1 is SoundStream. Any others?
PHOENIX GOLD OLD SCHOOL AMPS ARE AB AS WELL AS US AMPS, THERE ARE MANY OTHERS, DO YOUR RESEARCH

^^^^all modern amps are class D there are no modern class a/b amps produced.
so all the a/b amps that are produced every year are really class d?//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

lies i tell u ..all lies.

The majority are leaning towards class D.

There are no digital audio amplifiers.
yeah right ...the joke's on you man...my brothers cousins friend has a audiobahn with digital readout so it must digital duh..

PHOENIX GOLD OLD SCHOOL AMPS ARE AB AS WELL AS US AMPS, THERE ARE MANY OTHERS, DO YOUR RESEARCH
Thanks for shouting out what was said in the first reply in the thread. F'n noobix. 90%+ of the stereo and multichannel amps on the market are Class A/B. Quit being an idiot, read the thread before you reply and turn off your caps lock.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.