Clarifying 2-Ch Stereo Vs 5.1/7.1 Multichannel

Participant count
  • Participant list

trumpet
5,000+ posts

Barry Schanz
The purpose of this post is to address some misconceptions about multichannel music reproduction as opposed to traditional stereo sound. Stereo has been around since before most of us were born or conceived. Multichannel in the home theater has been around a long time; multichannel in the car is much newer and is the focus of this post. Before we can talk about multichannel we have to have a basic understanding of how this differs from the stereo sound that we all have grown up around.

Before you hit the back button because of a wall of text below, understand why I care about multichannel sound in the car: IT'S FUN and we don't have to be selfish and disregard our passengers with this technology!

The source is Differences Between Monophonic, Stereophonic and Surround Sound.

Stereo or Stereophonic sound is created by two independent audio channels or speakers and provides a sense of directionality because sounds can be heard from different directions.
Multichannel sound, also known as surround sound, is created by at least four and up to seven independent audio channels or speakers placed in front of and behind the listener that surrounds the listener in sound. Multichannel sound can be enjoyed on DVD music discs, DVD movies and some CDs. Multichannel sound began in the 1970s with the introduction of Quadraphonic sound, also known as Quad. Multichannel sound is also known as 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 channel sound.
3a1cf171f7a7d0027e2e520143ebe40d.jpg

Multichannel Music in Your Car - note: This article is old, outdated and archived.

Multichannel sound reproduction is found in many premium factory sound systems, or it can be added with a DSP. The scope of this discussion is the way multichannel in the car is useful for getting better sound for 2 or more seats, not just 1 seat at a time. Some factory premium systems have a setting for the listening position, and if you've tried this you have probably heard a significant change in the sound. Some aftermarket multichannel DSPs do a good job of this; others fall short. Aftermarket head unit manufacturers have tried 5.1 surround sound, although a "listening position" setting is much more common.

Improving the sound of music for more than just the driver's seat requires 2 front left and right speakers, a center speaker, 2 rear left and right speakers, and a subwoofer. Some form of multichannel digital signal processing is required, and the DSP needs a way to "upmix" 2 channel audio into 5.1 "better stereo". Obviously the speakers all need power from an amplifier.

There are 2 misconceptions about multichannel in cars that need attention if there is any chance of this wonderful concept to ever become widely accepted in this industry.

1. Misconception - Multichannel in the car is only worth doing if you have specially made recordings. DVD movies and audio qualify. Because DVD Audio is a dead format there is no good reason to build an aftermarket multichannel system.

2. Misconception - If you decide to add multichannel to your car any 5.1 DSP will get the job done.

These 2 points go hand in hand. Really effective multichannel audio reproduction in the car needs a DSP which creates a discreet center signal and rear speaker signals which add ambience and increase the illusion that you're listening in a bigger space than the car's interior. The center signal and the way the DSP steers sounds is critical. Today this requires on-chip software which has licensing attached. The associated license costs are one reason proper multichannel DSP options are sparse today. Lack of understanding of how this technology works and lack of understanding of how to sell, install and tune these systems is another major hurdle.

Currently your DSP shopping ought to be focused on JBL MS-8 or Alpine PXA-H800 with the RUX-C800 controller. These units can be the foundation of a sound system that will make 2-channel music sound good, or even great, for multiple seats. This goes well beyond your basic fader, balance, and time alignment.

I will say the MS-8 does a amazing job at this once you figure out its quirks. Even without a center, using the rear fill builds a center image so well you can picture the artist face on the dash in some songs. It does stuff people with other DSPs try months to get right and most never do. Its something you really have to hear for yourself to understand.

I will say the MS-8 does a amazing job at this once you figure out its quirks. Even without a center, using the rear fill builds a center image so well you can picture the artist face on the dash in some songs. It does stuff people with other DSPs try months to get right and most never do. Its something you really have to hear for yourself to understand.
What do you have for rearfills? And curious. What are you using as a head unit?

I became a believer in multichannel when I got my new car and the premium stock system using multichannel has as good of imaging and soundstage as the 3 way system that I spent months messing with time alignment and crossover slopes. The factory system uses cheap drivers on low power but still sounds decent due to multichannel processing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.