Circle cutter

SlugButter

CarAudio.com VIP
arizona
Circle cutter finally gave up today. Had to make one temporarily until I can get a decent one. What universal circle cutters have any of you used that worked well?. I have 2 different routers, a Bosch and a cheap Hercules from harbor freight. 1/2 inch shank. The homemade way is just too cumbersome and slow.
88066994-B218-48FA-8AB4-CE3876C0549A.jpeg

I've always just cut out a circle template on the waterjet at work, cut a rough hole with my jigsaw, and then used my flush trim bit on my trim router. Probably not helpful at all considering you probably don't have access to a waterjet, lol.

If you want a simple solution, find a local plastics shop and have them make you templates out of acrylic. Most subs use a common Cutout so you only really need 6 or so different ones to cover most 8's through 15's.

Matt

I use a Milescraft Large Circle Jig kit. The kit comes with a 1/4" shank bit, but it'll work with any bit.

Jasper Jig's patent is up so there is many on the market that are the same exact thing for 20.00 or so on ebay or amazon.
Nice. Last time I looked for a circle cutter jasper was about the only decent one. I remember when 3M still had the patent on the paper/tape masking tool. Stupid fvcking thing was 35 dollars for 15 cents worth of plastic back in the 90s.

No Problem. I was deep in the box building rabbit hole on YouTube and I kept seeing people mess up the circle cuts. I was like damn, I hate when that happens. Then I seen some videos by 210 Designs, the one I shared. He points out to screw the baffle down. Genius idea, never even crossed my mind. Something so simple could save on that little bit off frustration.

No Problem. I was deep in the box building rabbit hole on YouTube and I kept seeing people mess up the circle cuts. I was like damn, I hate when that happens. Then I seen some videos by 210 Designs, the one I shared. He points out to screw the baffle down. Genius idea, never even crossed my mind. Something so simple could save on that little bit off frustration.
I have a special table I clamp the baffles to so I don’t have screw holes in my wood. i hate that. I very rarely cut the holes after installing the baffle on the box. Most of the time that’s not really possible anyway because of box construction methods. The hardest baffles to cut on are the small ones. This one was for a 6.5 and I did have to screw it down because the clamps got in the way of the router. I think I’m going to make wood or acrylic templates for all the common sub sizes and make a special table so I can just clamp down the baffle and use my flush trim router bit to cut the holes.
61F3E597-E2BA-463A-B092-4234A4F1F274.jpeg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

SlugButter

CarAudio.com VIP
SlugButter
arizona
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies