Choosing an amp?

2tall

Chicago
Looking for some insight on choosing an amp for a single 600w rms subwoofer. Should I look for something that's 600w? Or something rated a little over what the sub can handle? Like a 750w amp or more. Your thoughts and input is appreciated

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Looking for some insight on choosing an amp for a single 600w rms subwoofer. Should I look for something that's 600w? Or something rated a little over what the sub can handle? Like a 750w amp or more. Your thoughts and input is appreciated
gotta know what sub so we know if we believe it can handle the 600 1st., some cab and fu, sundown subs these guys have take like 3x rating, also is box ported or sealed.. they'll also tell u about box rise basicly if amp puts out 600 they say only 250 or so make it to sub idk, I'm the poor old guy here and my crappy amp puts right at or just over 500rms to my orion and it sounds good..

U didn't pay $600 for sub did u(saw 1 in box for that) maybe I'm looking at wrong one but I wouldn't put more than 600rms to it no.. check voice coil size if 2" I say no more 400rms if 2.5" no more than 600rms (most cases) 3" depends but some handle 1200 or so., if it's 2.5" big motor on back then u could run 750rms to it if u break it in slow and don't use bass boost but coils can melt when they get hot.. what amps are u looking at

U didn't pay $600 for sub did u
Pretty standard now-a-days for some subs to be well over $600. NS-15 V.3 D2 - Sundown Audio 15" 2500W RMS Dual 2-Ohm Nightshade V3 Series Subwoofer

I didn't pay that for mine but some people do. My Tantric SHD 18s were the most expensive subs I've ever bought..

OP Pick up a good 1000 rms amp. You will have a little headroom to keep the gains down and get good clean power. Plus after voltage drop and rise you will still get good amounts of power.

my point was sub I saw for $619 in like a truck box can't be worth $600 imo., when u can get sundowns cabs American bass for under $200.. just based on box I saw it in I assumed it don't have much motor or magnet or large vc but like I said maybe I looked at wrong one., also don't u think a $600 would be rated much higher than 600rms like the other u mentioned are?

my point was sub I saw for $619 in like a truck box can't be worth $600 imo., when u can get sundowns cabs American bass for under $200.. just based on box I saw it in I assumed it don't have much motor or magnet or large vc but like I said maybe I looked at wrong one., also don't u think a $600 would be rated much higher than 600rms like the other u mentioned are?
JL audio is very overpriced. Power rating isn't everything.

yeah for $418 I get cab ultra and 1600.1 or sundown sa &

same amp (1600 real watts to sub blow back window out for less than peeps pay for just a sub)

I agree about it being overpriced, but it was the best option for my truck. I don't want to cut my truck up. And I also use all the space in my truck. I like having a system in my truck, but it's not my number one priority. So with that being said, there are so many different amps out there to choose from. I'm leaning towards the rf t1000bd. Looking for what people use and have had good results with. Throw out some brands for a 1000w rms amp

Thanks k5james, checked out the nvx jad1200.1 and I like the price. Watched some dyno videos on sonic electronics and was impressed. I'm going to give that a try.

Just my opinion and way I do things, but I believe you get what you pay for. Not saying the less expensive amps won't do the job, but I like to buy once and enjoy. I have been seeing a few JL JX1000/1D amps both used and new for really reasonable prices. Another amp that has had good reviews is the Rockford Fosgate R1200-1D.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.