Cheap Solutions?

BASSBOY
10+ year member

Beware Of The BBB
I need some cheap alternatives to buying hundreds of dollars of dynamat to stop my trunk from rattling, cause it ratttles and bulges like a motha****a, please help, taking my car to school tomorrow, and the systems have been getting stolen, SHITTY systems too, so im screwed unless i fix this:( because you all know i gotsta have the tunes on.

Dynomat your trunk, that will help it out a lot. If you dont want people to know that you have a system turn down the radio at school, also LOCK the doors, i know so many people who complain that their stero got stolen, but they never locked thier doors.. but Dynomat will help a lot, and make it sound better too. all for around 100 if you do it yourself

Originally posted by BASSBOY I need some cheap alternatives to buying hundreds of dollars of dynamat to stop my trunk from rattling, cause it ratttles and bulges like a motha****a, please help, taking my car to school tomorrow, and the systems have been getting stolen, SHITTY systems too, so im screwed unless i fix this:( because you all know i gotsta have the tunes on.
Second Skin. You can try to put some foam in the places that you have rattles, might be a temporary fix.

Originally posted by BASSBOY and the systems have been getting stolen, SHITTY systems too, so im screwed unless i fix this:( because you all know i gotsta have the tunes on.
a very simple a FREE solution is to NOT bump near school. it's common sense. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Well if you have a trunk like mine was then there is a gap between the actual sheetmetal trunk lid and the under frame of it. I took and did like a friend with his 4 12's and stuffed the crack with some silicone caulk. You wont be able to listen to it loud for a couple fo days because the silicone caulk takes several days to cure (mine said 7-14 days) and that will keep the sheet metal from flexing in and out and hittin that lid frame like mine was doin. I did this and now I can turn my system all the way up and you cant even hear anything rattling except for the gas cap and some other sheet metal under the car for the trunk and thats it. Like today on the way to school I passed two cops with my system goin wide open and they never even looked back at me. So you might wan to look at the underside of the trunk lid and see if there is a crack like I described. Hope that helps.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Originally posted by toxicwaste8504 Dynomat your trunk, that will help it out a lot... but Dynomat will help a lot, and make it sound better too. all for around 100 if you do it yourself
Did you even read his post?? He said NO dynamat. And $100 for just the trunk is **** expensive. You can pick up a 100 sq. ft. of second skin for $130 or somewhere around there.

Originally posted by 80_Cutlass_mn Well if you have a trunk like mine was then there is a gap between the actual sheetmetal trunk lid and the under frame of it. I took and did like a friend with his 4 12's and stuffed the crack with some silicone caulk. You wont be able to listen to it loud for a couple fo days because the silicone caulk takes several days to cure (mine said 7-14 days) and that will keep the sheet metal from flexing in and out and hittin that lid frame like mine was doin. I did this and now I can turn my system all the way up and you cant even hear anything rattling except for the gas cap and some other sheet metal under the car for the trunk and thats it. Like today on the way to school I passed two cops with my system goin wide open and they never even looked back at me. So you might wan to look at the underside of the trunk lid and see if there is a crack like I described. Hope that helps.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
I did the same thing with the trunk lid bracing except I used triple expanding foam. Worked great then I put 1 layer of E dead v.1 on it and my trunk lid has one hollow thump to it now.

Originally posted by blackgeltabs I did the same thing with the trunk lid bracing except I used triple expanding foam. Worked great then I put 1 layer of E dead v.1 on it and my trunk lid has one hollow thump to it now.
Yea thats my next feat ahead of me, sound deadening my trunk so that no sound whatsoever gets out. And also in the spaces in the frame where there are big huge gaps im prolly gonna put expanding foam in them. I think I have some somewhere just gotta find it, hmm....where could it be *scrathes head*

heres a thought.

how about head down to Home Depot and ask them for and sound deadening or insulating stuff they might use to build houses with. Maybe they carry some foam that can be sprayed on. Just a thought, has anyone tried it?

Originally posted by mofojordan heres a thought.

how about head down to Home Depot and ask them for and sound deadening or insulating stuff they might use to build houses with. Maybe they carry some foam that can be sprayed on. Just a thought, has anyone tried it?
I was plannin on tryin some of that pink stuff, im not sure what it is but you can see it on a house that is still in the framing stage. Even tho it doesnt have a sticky backing or anything you can still use spray adhesive. Im not sure how much it is but its like 3/4 of an inch thick. And its a dense foam so im sure it can absorb some sound, maybe even alot.

Umm, I hope you're not talking about the fiberglass pink panther type of insulation, cause that'd be murder for your car. It sheds little glass needles and flexes real well.

Originally posted by ChefJoe Umm, I hope you're not talking about the fiberglass pink panther type of insulation, cause that'd be murder for your car. It sheds little glass needles and flexes real well.
No this stuff comes in sheets like 3/4 in. or 1inch sheets that are about 4x8 maybe? I dunno but its what you see on the outside of a house before they put the siding or whatever on. Its the insualation that goes on the outside of the house underneath the siding or w/e they put down. Its foam I know that much cuz ive worked with it. Your talkin about the fluffy fiberglass stuff, I hate that as well. It iches like mothafugga when you touch it cuz of the glass fibers stabbing you lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.