Changing Out Factory Navigation Unit

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey Guys,

Brand new here and hoping you guys can help me out with my questions.

I have a brand new Hyundai Elantra Limited with the factory navigation system currently installed. I simply cannot deal with the sound quality the head unit is putting out and the navigation system is decent, but not up to the quality of after market navigation units. I looked at sound processors that connect to your factory stereo system and are supposed to clean up the sound and allow you to expand your system with multiple amps, but for the money it will cost me for this, I could change out the entire head unit and not need a sound processor for slightly more money. With that being said, my questions are below:

1.) I know I can install a device that will allow me to retain my stereo controls such as volume, mode, frequency etc. But my steering wheel has phone answer and end. Is there ANY way to retain these buttons or will I be forced to use the stereo only for answering and ending phone calls?

2.) The Elantra has a factory installed backup camera in it. Can I connect this camera to my newly installed head unit and use it as intended for backing up? If so, are the warning lines on the factory screen (green, yellow, red letting you know how close you are to objects) a result of the head unit or the camera. For example, if the camera does work on the new head unit, will I still have my warning lines or will it just be a regular camera?

3.) Will I be able to wire in the factory mounted microphone or will I need to mount the mic that ships with the unit.

The unit I am looking at purchasing, should it make any difference, is the Kenwood Excelon DNX890HD and adding the XM tuner as well.

Any and all help you guys can offer is greatly appreciated.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I will post this here in case anyone else stumbles across this in the future with the same questions...

I spoke with someone from Crutchfield and he confirmed that I can maintain my answer and end calls buttons on the steering wheel, however the factory installed reverse camera will be lost.

That's a deal breaker for me so it looks like I'll be going the route of a sound processor like the Kicker Front Row or something along those lines. Hopefully it cleans up the signal enough before going to me amps.

I drive by the Soundwaves shop every day. They haven't been around for too long and I haven't heard much about them. Have you heard good things about the work they do? I know my car is not super expensive, but it's my baby and I'm always nervous to let other people work on it.

They put out great work consistently. They have a very good reputation in the industry. It doesn't matter if the car is expensive and rare or common, they will treat you just as well as anyone else.

Chris Ott is a technician I've heard about many times. I don't know any of the guys personally, but I've spoken to Rob on the phone. He seems like a nice guy.

Just called and spoke to Rob... definitely a nice guy. He says he can't say with 100 certainty that the backup camera can be incorporated because he's never done an Elantra with the factory installed nav/backup cam, but he's never had a car come in that they weren't able to get working. So we'll see how it goes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.