Changing car speakers on Chevrolet Cruze

Participant count
  • Participants list

Tloz6996

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi guys. It's my first time signing up to a forum of this kind as well as having bought my first car a month ago! 

So long story short, I bought a Chevrolet Cruze 2010 and the left speaker doesn't work. It sounds muffled and the bass sounds like paper. This car only has 2 speakers. Upon googling, it seems like the size of the speakers are 6.5". Garages were charging me £40 just to LOOK at the issue and not fix it! So I'm planning on replacing it myself.

Just wanted to check with you guys since I'm planning on buying something pretty basic as a replacement like this:

Speaker 

And upon watching YouTube videos on how to open up the door, it seems pretty straight forward and easy! 

So I wanted to know from all your experiences, how easy is it to change the speakers of a car? Is that speaker compatible with my car? In terms of wiring, is it literally just a matter of plugging in wires ? Or is there was welding/soldering that would need to be done?

I do like to open things up and see how the electronics work so I am keen on doing this myself. I have built a computer so I've got a bit of electrical experience in that sense..

Swapping the speakers is pretty straight forward but be warned getting bass out of aftermarket speakers is not very easy it requires a proper install which can be costly. 

I dont advocate keeping factory systems often but if you were happy before the factory speakers went out it might be cheaper to just buy a new set of front speakers and pop them in your self. 

If you do go aftermarket you will need to buy or make a spacer adapter to space the speaker towards the door panel. Then I'd highly recommend using a foam gasket like the stinger fast rings to seal the speaker to the door. 

These doors have large openings that are hard to seal to gain the bass you lose back. Mostly because the cup holder actually insets into the door. 

Agreed.  Closed cell weatherstripping foam is desired to gasket the new speaker to the door/adapter/panel.  It's only $3 for a 10' roll of weatherstripping foam at any hardware store and you can choose the thickness and width.  You want a thin gasket between the speaker and the plastic mounting adapter (can be foam or putty).  Then you want a soft, thick gasket between the speaker and the door panel. Be careful to not get any weatherstripping on the surround itself and do not use open cell foams.  A 2017 Malibu is pictured below.   I also added some foam at the door clips to minimize them from being audible. 

20180317_155907.jpg

20180317_160958.jpg

20180317_161003.jpg

20180317_125228.jpg

20180317_163101.jpg

Hey guys, thanks for the reply. 

So after even more research, turns out Chevrolet, vauxhall and Opel are pretty much the same brand.. owned by GM (correct me if I'm wrong) and one of my colleagues who's a car enthusiasts told I there's a high chance I can basically use a speaker from a vauxhall astra as they'll probably have the same speakers on the Chevy. Anyone confirm this?

Also, I just wanted confirmation that the speaker I linked, will it be able to fit into the car and is the voltage/watts okay? And I'm assuming I'd have to buy this adapter?:

Adapter

I'm planning on buying the items pretty soon so yeah. Atm I just want to get cheapish speakers on and then some time later in the future, put good ones on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.