Carputer 101

where can i buy a VGA touchscreen other than from mp3car.com or from ebay, everything is like $300+.
thinking about turning my compaq desktop into a car pc, using its micro-atx mother board.
Woah, forgot about this forum, guess I need to hit the "notify by email" tab.

I was gonna post a link to my monitors under $300.00, but I just found my PM..."no advertising allowed" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Just check around for a Lilliput EBY701. You should be able to find one for under $200 shipped easy. It's a fantastic budget 7" touchscreen. If you want an 8" I got mine off Ebay for 170 shipped years ago. Not sure what they are going for now.

Also, stay away from digitalww. They are known to be running WAY behind on orders right now and the owner is MIA. Don't order from there.

Wow, hasn't been a post in here in a while.

I'm thinking about finally finishing up my carputer. Need to put it in a proper case, and also want to switch to a Sirf III GPS receiver.

Probably going to get a HTPC case for their small footprint, something like this-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108058

Only bad thing about my system is that it's a micro-ATX case, so can't do one of those tiny ITX cases.

Wow, hasn't been a post in here in a while.
I'm thinking about finally finishing up my carputer. Need to put it in a proper case, and also want to switch to a Sirf III GPS receiver.

Probably going to get a HTPC case for their small footprint, something like this-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108058

Only bad thing about my system is that it's a micro-ATX case, so can't do one of those tiny ITX cases.
So just upgrading the case and GPS? sounds fun, are you going beef up anything else

So just upgrading the case and GPS? sounds fun, are you going beef up anything else
I don't think I'll mess with anything else...I may add another HDD if the case has room for 2. I have an 80gig in there now, may throw a large one in there, say 250gig, just to put some more movies in there.

To be honest, I really haven't used my carpc for anything more then satellite radio and occasionally watching some Family Guy or something...between work and school, I really haven't had the need to use it for anything else.

I'd like to touch up the screen bezel a little bit, match the color perfectly with the dash, but we'll see about that.

From a PM...
1. Centrafuse 1.5(most stable,new purchaseable version with its own navigation software and maps are coming out,should be fun),yes it is skinable
What is this Centrafuse 1.5? I saw that is your interface, but interface for what?

This is a wicked idea. I have thought about doing something similar to this for years, but never put this much thought into it. This would look amazing in the Dodge.

How does your screen do with angles? I would be installing this in the dodge dash, and am worried that myself or that passenger would not be able to make out what is on the screen.

Murray

centrafuse is the software frontend. its what you see and has all the "buttons" makes it look pretty and functions.

been a while since i had a carputer, basically i can view it in any angle withing reason from driver or passenger seat. sun light can be an enemy, but techonlogy is getting better and better these days to fight that.

centrafuse is the software frontend. its what you see and has all the "buttons" makes it look pretty and functions.
I thought you ran windows on these? Please excuse my ignorance. Is that just the front end for the MP3 software?

Why aren't you running your Puter anymore?

I thought you ran windows on these? Please excuse my ignorance. Is that just the front end for the MP3 software?
Why aren't you running your Puter anymore?
you are running windows. but you use the software to "hide" the unpleasant windows explorer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif makes it look more like how you would see a Pioneer navi screen, and easier to use. Centrafuse has its own media player, where as Roadrunner uses Winamp as its media player.

My lcd fried because the fuse didnt blow in time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif probally my fault. i wont do a carputer in this car, cause i plan to buy a new car soon.

you are running windows. but you use the software to "hide" the unpleasant windows explorer //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif makes it look more like how you would see a Pioneer navi screen, and easier to use. Centrafuse has its own media player, where as Roadrunner uses Winamp as its media player.
My lcd fried because the fuse didnt blow in time //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif probally my fault. i wont do a carputer in this car, cause i plan to buy a new car soon.
Like Mega said, it's a front-end program, basically presents all your media/gps/etc. into one program to make it easier to launch things, listen to music/radio, watch videos, use GPS, etc.

Here's a picture of mine. I'm using a front-end called "Road Runner"

dashfinished5qt0.jpg

Oh no kidding. that is cool. I'd like to play around with that. If you wanted to you could use Windows Media Player, and open a seperate software for the GPS, but this lays it all out nice so you don't have to piss around while you're driving?

Wow, I might have to go digging through all our old laptops here and see if I can find a working motherboard. This is getting the gears turning.

I love seeing the crazy/cool stuff everyone is doing. I've said it before, we just don't see this kinda thing up here.

The screen you guys put in, does it just connect with a VGA cable? I don't know much about touch screens.

Murray

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...