carpet padding for sound deading?

i have no idea so hopefully sumone who does would give u sum input but hey its worth a shot if its free.. do it n let us kno how it works for ya

i was wondering if anyone has tried it because i can get free reminats and i just wanna stop the rattles in my truck so badly but i'm on a really tight budget (like 0) and hey free is free

i would say go for it. i'm doing this in my car, in a thin border around all the places where plastic meets metal to stop rattling. this combined with some sound deadening should work really well. i don't have experience with it yet.

well i will let you all know how it works. if it works well great and if it dosn't i'm not out anything, so well see what happenes

well, carpet padding is more like insulation than deadening.

Deadening just basically adds mass to a panel, which stops resonances and makes it more like a wall - reflects outside sound back outside, and inside sound back inside.

Insulation actually absorbs sound. Applying it to something wont really lower any resonances, but if you put it between 2 pieces that rattle against each other it will stop the rattle just by keeping them apart. The big thing that it will do is lower echoes and reflections by absorbing the sound. It will also keep outside sounds from coming inside, and inside sounds from going out.

Yup; the carpet padding would be a barrier loading material (aborbs sound waves), and not a mass loading material needed to stop resonances and rattles.

i was wondering if anyone has tried it because i can get free reminats and i just wanna stop the rattles in my truck so badly but i'm on a really tight budget (like 0) and hey free is free

i had a bunch of remnants from when i put hardwood floor in my parents' office, but they had cat piss all over them so i threw them all out.

how are you getting yours ?

well i actully got mine froma carpet store, i just went in and told them i need some remianance and told them why i needed it and they directed me to there dumpster so i took a dive and grab all i needed and brought it home i'm probiably going outside i n a few and throw some in my truck.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.