Car won't start :( not a dead battery

Rashaddd
5,000+ posts

Terrrrrist
Sacramento
When I turn the key it just makes a 'click' noise but doesn't even attempt to turn the engine over or anything, happened literally over-night...I've checked and rechecked all connections to battery and ground etc...but I can't reach any connections on the starter

what do you think is wrong?

check voltage at the battery under load. It has enough power to engage the starter but not turn over the motor.

I say it is the battery

edit: or a connection between it and the starter.

voltage is probably under 10V. check to make sure the connections are good when you start the car if possible. It may read 12.5V now, but drop to 8v when you turn the key meaning something is loose.

I'll check voltage while I turn the key but I really dont think thats it...voltage is sitting at 12.8 as it always is in the morning, and I have a pair of batcap 2k's in the back as well, so I really don't think its a battery problem

also, batts aren't being drained at all from me repeatedly trying to turn the key and get it to start over and over and over

I'll check voltage while I turn the key but I really dont think thats it...voltage is sitting at 12.8 as it always is in the morning, and I have a pair of batcap 2k's in the back as well, so I really don't think its a battery problem
also, batts aren't being drained at all from me repeatedly trying to turn the key and get it to start over and over and over
...forgot to ask make model year?

I've had this happen where my battery terminal up front was corroded but I couldn't see the corrosion so the car wouldn't start. I'd wiggle the terminal and it would start. It baffled me until the inside of the terminal was corroded to the point the connection was no longer good enough to start the car. So if you have terminals that cover the whole stud check for corrosion

Already checked out the terminals and cleaned up all connections, even tipped off the wires (or whatever its called when you snip off the exposed end and strip a new clean tip, lol...)

Voltage drops to about 12.5 when I try to start it, so I'd say its definitely not the batteries, and there is definitely something pulling current or trying to

oh and its a 2000 mazda 626

When I turn the key it just makes a 'click' noise but doesn't even attempt to turn the engine over or anything, happened literally over-night...I've checked and rechecked all connections to battery and ground etc...but I can't reach any connections on the starter
If it's a click it's either a dead battery, or your start connectors rusted out.

Already checked out the terminals and cleaned up all connections, even tipped off the wires (or whatever its called when you snip off the exposed end and strip a new clean tip, lol...)
Voltage drops to about 12.5 when I try to start it, so I'd say its definitely not the batteries, and there is definitely something pulling current or trying to

oh and its a 2000 mazda 626
Starter.
Usually...One click is starter, several clicks is battery.
^^^this

remove the starter and take it to an autoparts store for bench testing.

how do you "know" its not the battery, to title the thread like you did?

check voltage, charge the battery, jump start it maybe...

then if that doesnt work we know its not the battery.

is it a auto or manual?

Remember kids, I tow cars for a living.
yes, but I have seen single click with a good starter. I worked an autoparts store for 5 years.

however since O.P. stated that load tested 12.5v and connections at the battery are good, then the only other options are the connection at the starter or the starter itself

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.