Car voltage keeps jumping up and down until car stalls

Participant count
  • Participant list

ghart999
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
For the past 2 days my car is having a hard time maintaining voltage when driving in stop/go traffic or even at idle. I have a voltmeter gauge up front and voltage will go from 13.8 into the 11s or high 10s and back up. After a few times the car will stall out whether driving or idle.

I have a 160A alt and an optima red top. I was convinced the alt was dying so I switched to my stock unit and the same thing is happening. Hence I am sure the alt is not the cause. I have done the big 3 with 0 gauge wire. So no problems there.

Also this problem happens even with the stereo turned off, so no problem with too much amp draw.

Could my batt be dead? I don't have a problem with the car starting so I would think the batt is fine.

No external volt regulator. That is internal to the alt.

Any thoughts as this is making driving impossible as I stall every minute while driving.

Thanks all.

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Supercharged

There is a small clip style plug that clips in underneath with a few 16G wires which is fine. The pos wire connect via post which is fine too. Especially after swapping the old alt in I am sure that all wiring is solid. WTF!!!

My car is doing the same exact thing, it stalled on me when I was on traffic on the interstate the other day! I have a voltage gauge installed in the dash and it was going from 13.5 to the 11's. Im tempted to say it is the batt cuase it is gettin kinda old, but my car starts fina as well. hmmm

Not normally for a gel cell but it might not be a bad idea to have it tested anyway. I know Denver is full of Auto Zones and they test for free //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Batt is fine. I even swapped the batt from my wifes car in to make sure. Same problem. Someone mentioned it could be my mass airflow sensor going bad, so I am swapping mine out with a friend's over the weekend to see if that is it. This *****.

^^^^hahaha ghart that is EXACTLY what I was thinking next. I have a Hot shot WAI on my car and I cleaned and oiled the filter and then about a week later the problem started. I think some oil got on the sensor. Im about to go buy some MAF cleaner at auto zone and see if that solves it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.