Car Problem - Fuel Guage.

cbuts
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
i drive a 2006 chevrolet malibu lt v6. 3.5

filled up my gas tank this morning to the nuts, drove around for a half hour.

engine light comes on, and my gas guage drops to empty and says LOW FUEL.

a shop didnt look at it but said it could be a fuel pump - $600.

another shop said they need an hour to diagnose it for $80.

any one who knows anything and can tell me something would be appreciated :p

It's the sending unit... Part will be about $100, and should be accessible from the trunk. I'm actually going to be replacing one of those on an 07 Malibu either this weekend or next. It is NOT part of the fuel pump. It is separate. Get it from http://www.rockauto.com

Honda is not more reliable than anyone else. Not even GM. Not even slightly. (I'm not a GM shill, either... All companies make good cars and bad cars. My next car won't be a GM, and that's just how it goes.)

^^ Its lasted since 03!! When ur broke ur broke..
I understand. Just keep it in mind. Pumps that are designed to pump liquid do not like it when they do not have liquid to pump. Every time you run out of gas, your fuel pump loses some of its life (much more than it would if it were operating normally with gas). Each time you are low on gas and you hit a bump and the fuel pump has trouble picking up gas for a few moments, same thing.

I can't tell you to find money to put in your gas tank, just warning you that it's not good for the pump. If you could try to keep at least a quarter tank in there, your car would appreciate it. If not... oh well.

So, as it turns out, Malibus need to have their tanks dropped to access the fuel pump / sender after all. No fuel pump access window in the trunk or under the rear seat. Ugh. I put it off until this upcoming weekend because my cousin had way too much fuel in his tank for that last weekend.

why do people like you have to make posts like this.GTFO
Just report his posts, trolling in the tech sections is against the rules. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

It's the sending unit... Part will be about $100, and should be accessible from the trunk. I'm actually going to be replacing one of those on an 07 Malibu either this weekend or next. It is NOT part of the fuel pump. It is separate. Get it from RockAuto Auto Parts
Honda is not more reliable than anyone else. Not even GM. Not even slightly. (I'm not a GM shill, either... All companies make good cars and bad cars. My next car won't be a GM, and that's just how it goes.)
well after a half hour my guages went back up to full tank, but my engine light stayed on, after a day the lights off and everythings working fine?

some shop told me its the fuel pump, without looking

another shop said it could be the "levelling unit" which is 50-100 which is what im guessing you said ( without looking at it )

so im guessing its fine now??

lol

thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.