Car Audio Hall of Fame

Participant count
  • Participant list

kmanian
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Grand Cayman
So car audio can trace it origins back further than I can imagine, but if we were to say in the 1970s is when we identify the genesis of car audio, we are looking at 40 years of history, including the golden years of the late 1980's through early 1990's. we have come a VERY long way from Realistic home speakers run off an 8 track tape and a booster/eq, to CD players, 6x9's, $2 per watt class ab amps pushing subs with an Xmas of 1/2" achieving spl scores of 135 db max, all the way to subs with 3" of Xmax and db records of 180 db...

We have quite a few guys that are reminiscent of days gone by and love the old school stuff, we have guys like myself that buy what we consider to be historically notable to the car audio world and stick it in our closets to preserve it for the future.

We have people like Alma Gates through to Jacob Fuller who have brought life to the car audio scene, some are already worthy of being inducted and some are on their way, while others have yet to hit their stride.

I think it would be worth while to really consider establishing a "Car Audio Hall of Fame" there is a lot of history and pride to preserve for the future.

I would like to see it stretch across all sanctioning bodies, manufactures... An all inclusive entity.

Thoughts?

I believe Mark and I own the domain, we just have not had any time to work on building the site. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Alma Gates should be on there somewhere. Also Fishman Audio in Florida (used to hear their shop name all the time back in the 90s, doing crazy installs), and a guy named Greg Cobbs and his Astro van... it had 12 18 inch subs (not sure the brand) back in 1995, then it had 48 10s, then 72 10s, then 90 10s when 1998 rolled around. He scored 167.8dB, but then he switched to 12 15 inch Rockford Punch HX2 and got 171.1dB. IT had 48 Rockford Power 1000db amps but it only runs 24 at a time with the other 24 on standby in case of amp failure at comps. Greg Cobbs knew what's up.

So car audio can trace it origins back further than I can imagine, but if we were to say in the 1970s is when we identify the genesis of car audio, we are looking at 40 years of history, including the golden years of the late 1980's through early 1990's. we have come a VERY long way from Realistic home speakers run off an 8 track tape and a booster/eq, to CD players, 6x9's, $2 per watt class ab amps pushing subs with an Xmas of 1/2" achieving spl scores of 135 db max, all the way to subs with 3" of Xmax and db records of 180 db...We have quite a few guys that are reminiscent of days gone by and love the old school stuff, we have guys like myself that buy what we consider to be historically notable to the car audio world and stick it in our closets to preserve it for the future.

We have people like Alma Gates through to Jacob Fuller who have brought life to the car audio scene, some are already worthy of being inducted and some are on their way, while others have yet to hit their stride.

I think it would be worth while to really consider establishing a "Car Audio Hall of Fame" there is a lot of history and pride to preserve for the future.

I would like to see it stretch across all sanctioning bodies, manufactures... An all inclusive entity.

Thoughts?

Dude, I haven't seen you around here in a LONG time.

Wayne Harris... Mark Fakuda.... Earl Zausmer for having the B&W 15" drivers in his kick panels, lol. Fishman was accounted for.

With that being the case we must take it back to where it all began, starting with

Paul Stary who founded the original Audiomobile in 1975, they had many "1st" in this industry including the 1st car audio "demo" vehicle, with that we must add

Rich Coe who build the "1st" manufactures demo vehicle, the infamous "1KW VW Bug" that was displayed in Audiomobile booth at the 76' summer CES.

Jim Fosgate is another one we can't forget, said to have invented the 1st car audio amplifier in 1973, he also founded Fosgate Electronics which later became Rockford Fosgate.

I believe Mark and I own the domain, we just have not had any time to work on building the site. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Agreed, there are so many names, products, builds... That will be lost if we don't establish a formal way of displaying them eternally.

I think a website is great, but a physical museum is the way to go.

Dude, I haven't seen you around here in a LONG time.
Yea, I've been focusing on other things, and honestly the discussions seem to be pretty slack lately, I kinda miss the fun we had a few years back, it was lively then.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.