Capacitors? Where's the proof?

By resources I meant $$$. Nothing to do with electrics.
And you cannot compare batteries and caps. A battery can actually maintain voltage where a cap cannot.
A battery cannot maintain a voltage. It does not produce anything. It stores and uses as needed. As it discharges the voltage drops in proportional to the amount of current drawn. It merely stores a much larger charge than a capacitor but does so with a higher ESR than a capacitor. They can EASILY be compared. To state that they cannot be assumes we live in a world of unknowns and uncertainty.

Idk, I think I'm going to have to disagree. The system gets strained (and lights dim) because the power isn't there to give to the amplifier so the voltage drops and you could basically say the system fails. Adding another battery will add to your available power at any given time, thus supplying more of the power that the amplifier wants and getting it closer to "passing" (instead of failing). Thus the alternator is going to have to recharge twice the amount of power it did before. I mean a battery only has a limited amount of power it can give out before falling below the resting voltage.
Idk, maybe I'm wrong, I'd like it if you could get as technical as possible simply for the fact that I like to learn things...
You're absolutely right. I don't think helotaxi is any sort of expert, so I'm anxious for this as well.

A battery cannot maintain a voltage. It does not produce anything. It stores and uses as needed. As it discharges the voltage drops in proportional to the amount of current drawn. It merely stores a much larger charge than a capacitor but does so with a higher ESR than a capacitor. They can EASILY be compared. To state that they cannot be assumes we live in a world of unknowns and uncertainty.
What do you think protons are? A battery stores protons.. voltage is the measure of those protons, the amount/force they produce.. so I'm a little confused over your response here.. and a good battery over time will recharge it self back to its initial voltage as long as all protons are active inside the battery because they bounce and collide with each other causing division that like of a cell goes through mitosis.. (and this happens over time) that's why if your drain your car battery tring to start your car.. when your starter starts to drag... you let off.. let it set for some time and it will slightly bring the level back up in the battery to start turning over again.. not much just just a little.. this is one example..

The energy in a battery is not stored in an electric field between two plates but rather in a chemical form. That makes a big difference in how it stores and more importantly releases the energy that it stores. Hook a cap up to a voltage source of, say, 18V. Let the voltage stabilize and then disconnect the source. Wait a few minutes and check to voltage on the cap. It will be right at 18V. Try the same thing with a car battery and it will settle out back around 12.8-13.4V depending on the battery. Plot the voltage of a cap under a constant load with no additional charge being provided and you will find that it is pretty much a straight line. Do the same with a battery and you will see that it is a very shallow slope until it gets to around 10V at which point it falls off a cliff. Hardly linear. It can maintain a higher voltage over a higher range of loads and over a longer period of time. The energy in a cap is stored over the entire range of voltage from working voltage to 0V. A battery, on the other hand, has its usable energy above 10V and is capable of maintaining over 12V under discharge for a good deal of time.

Adding another battery will add to your available power at any given time, thus supplying more of the power that the amplifier wants and getting it closer to "passing" (instead of failing). Thus the alternator is going to have to recharge twice the amount of power it did before. I mean a battery only has a limited amount of power it can give out before falling below the resting voltage.
The lights are going to dim under a load regardless because the inductance of the alternator does not allow it to react instantly. It becomes less obvious with a battery bank because the skin voltage on the batteries dampens rate of voltage drop making it a more gradual drop rather than a flicker. The flicker is what the eye is sensitive to. I still don't see what's so hard to understand about the fact that pulling 100A for 0.1sec is the same amount of stored energy that much be replaced whether that is from one battery or from 100 batteries. It's 10 amp-seconds of energy any way you pull it. It's all about the area under the curve. Take the integral of the current plotted over time, divide by the time lapsed. If the result is less than the alternator output (minus car systems) then your alternator is actually sufficient for your system. If you have some really big peaks in there, a couple of batteries will keep the voltage higher. The ESR on a battery isn't nearly as high as you seem to think that it is and by wiring several of them in parallel, you've decreased the effective ESR even further. Lower ESR means that the battery bank can deiliver a higher voltage over an even longer period of time and under an even higher draw.

What do you think protons are? A battery stores protons.. voltage is the measure of those protons, the amount/force they produce.. so I'm a little confused over your response here.. and a good battery over time will recharge it self back to its initial voltage as long as all protons are active inside the battery because they bounce and collide with each other causing division that like of a cell goes through mitosis.. (and this happens over time) that's why if your drain your car battery tring to start your car.. when your starter starts to drag... you let off.. let it set for some time and it will slightly bring the level back up in the battery to start turning over again.. not much just just a little.. this is one example..
Electrons. Not protons. And a battery does not recharge itself.

Yeah my bad.. but you are absolutely wrong.. it over a long time will increase its voltage back to the resting voltage as long as the battery is good..

You are saying if you drain the bat down to 10v.. that it will not go back to 12v? Thats wrong.. over time a long time it does.. because the battery is active.. a cap cant do that..

Hook a cap up to a voltage source of, say, 18V. Let the voltage stabilize and then disconnect the source. Wait a few minutes and check to voltage on the cap. It will be right at 18V.
Absolutely wrong.. a cap will only retain a small amount of energy depending on the Fared rating of the unit.. like around .01 v or maybe .5 volt.. depending on the size..

The cap cant hold that 18v because it has no where to store it.. you disconnect power and you will see the cap to start to loose its voltage untill it cuts it self off..

Quoted for hilarity.

Yeah my bad.. but you are absolutely wrong.. it over a long time will increase its voltage back to the resting voltage as long as the battery is good..
You are saying if you drain the bat down to 10v.. that it will not go back to 12v? Thats wrong.. over time a long time it does.. because the battery is active.. a cap cant do that..
Also quoted for hilarity.

Absolutely wrong.. a cap will only retain a small amount of energy depending on the Fared rating of the unit.. like around .01 v or maybe .5 volt.. depending on the size..
The cap cant hold that 18v because it has no where to store it.. you disconnect power and you will see the cap to start to loose its voltage untill it cuts it self off..
And by now I'm in tears....

So far, we have learned that car audio runs on Protonics instead of electronics. In this fictional universe, batteries charge themselves, and capacitors store tenths of volts.

Um, no, it will not go back to 12v at least not under any kind of load. The resting voltage might go back to around 12V but under even the smallest load, the voltage will go down to its discharged state. Until the electrons are forced back into the electrolyte, the battery working voltage will not increase. If it could do as you claim, it would in effect be free energy and the solution to the energy problems of the world.

Please just quit posting. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and every post only serves to reinforce our low opinion of your knowledge.

Please just quit posting. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and every post only serves to reinforce our low opinion of your knowledge.
Prove it! I have already tried it.. and the cap, looses all energy.. and once it gets down to around 8v it shuts it self off and then you test it and its maybe if your lucky 1 v or a faction of a volt as most 1 farad caps only store around 1 v

Your an idiot that does not know jack if you think it will, and if you do have some cap that will do what your saying and record a video of it and prove me wrong..

A battery will over a long period of time will increase it self back to 12v, yes it will not have the same effective force but it will read a 12v... just as vinegar in a jar with a copper core will produce a very low voltage from the chemical reaction of its properties..

Same thing happens in a wet battery.. it is very minimal and occurs over a long period of time.. its not instant as I have already said.. why don't you run right out and actually try it and experiment instead of being a douche and telling me not to post.. HA HA HA @ both of you

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.