Capacitor and Hifonics brutus bx1205D

kyazh

10+ year member
Apr 6, 2006
So Cal
I have a hifonics brutus bx1205d with a 1 farad cap powering a 05 alpine type R wires at 2 ohms which according to hifonics is supposed to get 900watts RMS. Now my car runs on 12 volts, and the cap says its rated at 12 - 24 volts or something. Now does this mean that the amp is getting more power b/c of the cap. In other words, does the cap give a voltage boost or does it still run at ~12 volts? Secondly, Ive heard/read that hifonics overrates its amps, Does anyone know approximately how many watts im actually getting with this setup? Thanks for all the help!

kyazh

10+ year member
Apr 6, 2006
So Cal
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Caps look nice;) . They are worthless, and yes their amps are overrated.
oh rlly... wtf is a cap for neway. Some douche told me it smoothes out the signal power, some other quack told me it stores energy and acts as a second battery. wtf!

revrider1

Hmmm...
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jul 31, 2005
Down South~3rd Coast~TX
That is what is supposed to do, but it doesnt, you can ask anyone on here they will tell you the same. They are a waste of money. It is supposed to store power for when the amp demands it most.

tiger777

Senior VIP Member
10+ year member
May 5, 2006
Louisiana
unless you have a huge cap its a waste and even then the money is better spent else where. Its supposed to store energy and keep the amp from drawing huge amounts of power from the battery all of the sudden but truthfully it doesn't work so well in real world applications. better off buying another battery. I can't say anything though I put one in my girls car because I knew should would think it looks cool lol.

Ali1

e6300 FTW
10+ year member
May 5, 2006
U.S.
same here. i had a 2.5 farad cap and it ******. Didn't help with my dimming whatsoever. threw that shit back in the basement.

tRiGgEr

CarAudio.com Veteran
5,000+ posts
10+ year member
Jan 27, 2004
San Diego, Ca
With a 1205 a cap is really not needed.

And no. The amp is only seeing what the cap is seeing, as far as voltage goes. Maybe even less;)

dvcevoblack

Teh BasTehsss
10+ year member
May 17, 2006
CA
oh rlly... wtf is a cap for neway. Some douche told me it smoothes out the signal power, some other quack told me it stores energy and acts as a second battery. wtf!
u basically got pwnt by nOObs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Newest threads

Most posts - Past 30 days

Latest classifieds