cap question

Mongojerry36
10+ year member

hey,

i have two type r's connected to a jl 1000/1 amp. My lights dim and im not too sure about how to do the big 3 cuz im not tech savvy at all. The installer from the place i got everything said i need a 25 fared capacitor. It was $300.

I dnt wanna buy something that im not sure is necessary.

Anyway, my question is: Do i need a capacitor? and if i do, what do you recommend?

thanks

If your installer told you to buy a 25 farad cap for $300 to fix your voltage problem stop going to him. If I was going to spend that much I would buy an HO alt.

And for $300 you could also just buy a nice Group 31 battery to go back there that would be a million times better than a cap.

ok thanks, i also looked up the caps nd i only need a 2 fared cap...but why is it unnecessary if it stores power and takes stress off of the battery and alernator...

and how would i connect a battery to my system??

it doesn't take stress away from the electrical system, it adds to it. Think of it this way: You're adding another component to your system that needs to be kept charged.

Do the Big-3 and upgrade your battery to a group 31. Check out the Deka batteries @ remybattery.com

so i can get away with the two type r's nd the jl 1000/1 amp without a cap?

i hear alot about the big three, i have no idea where to start as i know nothing about engines even if i have directions haha that may sound stupid but its true

i mean if i dnt bump them all the time i should be okay without making any mods, correct?

This what I posted a couple days in the amp section...Like I said maybe too much info.

This is what the Zeff man says...

This was taken from Zed Audio's manual.

Stiffening capacitors - These are of NO use with our amplifiers due to the fact that the amplifiers have fully regulated power supplies. The power supplies will compensate for small volt drops which exist on the +12v power cable. The amount of current drawn by a particular amplifier would drain a fully charged 1 Farad capacitor almost instantly. Consider the theory. Energy (Joules) = Power(Watts) x Time(Seconds). The energy in a 1 Farad capacitor = 0.5CV.V= 0.5x1x12x12= 72 Joules. Let us assume a medium size amplifier such as Draconia. Let us assume that we are playing it such that all four channels (into 4 ohms each) are just clipping on the loudest musical peaks. This means that we are delivering 300 watts on peaks. The amplifier's average efficiency is about 45. The peak to average power ratio is about 20 so average power is 20 of 300 = 60 watts. The input power is therefore 133 watts. If the 1 Farad capacitor was charged to 12 volt and we remove the main source of power - the battery, the amp would remain playing for 0.54 seconds! (Put the numbers in the formula (E=PxT above and solve for time T). Now compare this to the battery. The amplifier will play for some hours (depends on actual battery of course) as compared to 0.54 seconds! So what good is a 1 Farad capacitor? Assign the above example to a Megalith playing into a 1 ohm load. Going through the mathematics the 1 Farad capacitor would keep the amplifier playing for 0.14 seconds. So if the voltage at the amplifier's power terminal dropped by say 1 volt the amplifier's power supply will correct for this on a continuous basis. The stiffening capacitor however has nowhere close to the energy reserve to compensate for a 1 volt drop. The main internal power supply capacitors hold 100 Joules of energy and these are more effective than any stiffening capacitor since they do not have to contend with the in-efficiencies of the amplifier's power supply.
Probably more than you wanted to know but at least this explains it....

If your installer told you to buy a 25 farad cap for $300 to fix your voltage problem stop going to him. If I was going to spend that much I would buy an HO alt.
And for $300 you could also just buy a nice Group 31 battery to go back there that would be a million times better than a cap.
Agreed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.