Cant seem to get the figures i want/need when setting up.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Hrp81134

CarAudio.com Newbie
Uk
Evening all. Think this is posted in the right place. I have come to the point in my build now where I'm setting amplifiers and avoiding clipping. However I cant seem to get more than 30.1v at 2amp output in the subwoofer amplifier. Details are as follows. I'm running inphase IPA2001D Amplifier with 15" T-rex subwoofer wired in 4ohm (dual 2 ohm). The head unit rca voltage going into amplifier is just under 0.5v before clipping on a 0db 35hz test tone. (Low I know but cheap head unit) the low crossover is set to 95hz on the amplifier with the subsonic cut off at 15hz. Bass boost is off with phase set to 0. Gain is roughly 3/4 up before clipping occurs however when I clamp positive supply to on coil of the sub when running the test tone I only get just under 2 amps at 30.1v across coil. It sounds loud enough but seems very underpowered to me figure wise. It's in a custom built 36hz ported enclosure at roughly 2.89ftcubed. Power supply to amplifier is perfect not dipping below 14.2v on 35hz burp at max volume (before clipping). Please help as I'm very confused. My only thoughts are up purchase a head unit with a 2-3v rca output before clipping as maybe the amp cant amplify 0.5v to the recommended RMS for subwoofer or am I missing something. Many thanks in advance...

Sub specs
  • 3000 watts 15' DVC subwoofer.
  • 1000 watts RMS
  • Black powder finish die cast basket
  • Kevlar woven nonpress paper cone with EROM foam surround
  • 3'” hi-temp 4-layer voice coil
  • Double stacked 200oz magnets
  • Mirror-image multi-layer nomex spiders
  • Chrome finished T-yoke with logo etched
  • Dual 2ohm impedance
  • Chrome push termianl
  • Rubber gasket
  • Rubber magnet boot
Amplifier specs

Key Features:
  • 800w RMS x1 @ 4 ohms
  • 1200w RMS x1 @ 2 ohms
  • 2000w RMS x1 @ 1 ohms
  • 4000 Watts Max Power
  • Regulated power supply
  • MOSFET power supply
  • Oversize Power Tranformer
  • Bipolar Output devices
  • Dimensions (L x W x H) 320mm x 250mm x 55.5mm
  • Variable gain adjustment
  • Variable cross over (high/low pass)
  • Thermal protection
  • Overload protection
  • 1 ohms Stable
  • Variable Subsonic Filter 20Hz- 50Hz
  • Low pass filter frequency 50Hz - 250Hz
  • Digital Subwoofer Level Control
  • Bass Boost

In addition to above I have now purchased and installed a kenwood headunit which I can get 1.6v unclipped rca voltage to the amplifier. Although this did not allow me to get more voltage out the amplifier it have allowed for better quality listening. Also I re wired the subwoofer from 4ohn down to 1ohm and have managed to get 327Watts to the subwoofer at 1ohm. Sounds ALOT better but it's still not even half way of what the sub is happy to sit at. Still very confused as at 1ohm the IPA2001D amplifier should reach 2000watt RMS. Well within the recommended RCA input to the amplifier now and I'm still holding good input volts at 13.9A on 35hz burp. Any help much appreciated

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.