Can't get this right... boomy sub.. help?

Participant count
  • Participant list

g35chick
10+ year member

These things are making me go insane. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I had two 10w3v2's hooked up to a 500/1. Disconnected one (still in the box, but sounded crappy so it's just there to plug the hole, basically... and it's temporary) so now I just have 1 w3 on the amp. I wired it in a series so that it would be sending 8 ohms to the amp... because from what I understand, that will give it ~ 250 watts rather than 500... right? Lol this stuff is still really confusing to me... But, I did this: http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/9013/media_image/dev_1/DVC_Series_1.png?1314416080

Now, if that's right, it's got to be the box or some other aspect of my wiring. Box is 1.2 cubes sealed. I set the gains using a DMM and turned it down a bit. I've tried every crossover setting possible... seriously. I don't know what I'm doing. I have the 500/1 wired to my stock Bose amp. So, here are ALL of my current amp settings:

Pre-amp (not sure if this even matters?):

Output mode: Full

12dB

Filter Mode: LP

Freq: 45

IF: on, 45 hz

Q: 2.0

Center Frequency: 30

Bass EQ: On

Boost: 0

Amp LP Filter

12dB

Freq: 45

Amp Input Section

Low

SS: Off

Gain isn't set very high but lows are VERY boomy and highs are non-existent. Not entirely sure I could define "boomy"... but loud in a BAD way.. lol... they don't have any "kick" to them. Just extremely loud, overpowering, and loose sounding.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif

HELP! Lol I'm sure I've done something stupid...

What's IF stand for?

The reason you have no highs is because you have it crossed at 45Hz. Try raising that to up around 80Hz and see how you like it. What exactly are you calling your pre-amp? What piece of gear is that. You may want to turn off the low pass filter on that and only use the one on your amp, or vice versa. And I'm curious as to how you have to stock Bose amp wired to the JL too.

The other speaker plugging the hole is acting as a passive radiator, and depending on the resistance it has in movement, your tuning could be anywhere. Might account for that boomy soun you are hearing. Try to hook up both and see if it still makes that boomy sound. Or did it make that sound before you unplugged it?

What's IF stand for?
The reason you have no highs is because you have it crossed at 45Hz. Try raising that to up around 80Hz and see how you like it. What exactly are you calling your pre-amp? What piece of gear is that. You may want to turn off the low pass filter on that and only use the one on your amp, or vice versa. And I'm curious as to how you have to stock Bose amp wired to the JL too.

The other speaker plugging the hole is acting as a passive radiator, and depending on the resistance it has in movement, your tuning could be anywhere. Might account for that boomy soun you are hearing. Try to hook up both and see if it still makes that boomy sound. Or did it make that sound before you unplugged it?
Sorry, IF = Infrasonic filter. I tried turning the LPF ALL the way up to 200 hz and it made little to no difference in SQ. I have NO idea what the pre-amp section is... but changing the settings on it made little to no difference.

After reading a few threads on other forums, I think there's an issue with the signal my Bose amp is feeding the 500/1. I followed this DIY: DIY: Add a sub to your Bose equipped G35 Coupe - G35Driver

I used a LOC but without taking the trunk apart, I can't remember how I tapped into the stock amp. Could an issue with this cause the crappy sound I'm hearing?

Sorry, IF = Infrasonic filter. I tried turning the LPF ALL the way up to 200 hz and it made little to no difference in SQ. I have NO idea what the pre-amp section is... but changing the settings on it made little to no difference.

After reading a few threads on other forums, I think there's an issue with the signal my Bose amp is feeding the 500/1. I followed this DIY: DIY: Add a sub to your Bose equipped G35 Coupe - G35Driver

I used a LOC but without taking the trunk apart, I can't remember how I tapped into the stock amp. Could an issue with this cause the crappy sound I'm hearing?
Ok, first you should hook both subs back up. Was there a reason you disconnected one? Your problem doesn't lie there, it is before that. That could contribute to the sound you are hearing, since that other woofer is a PR right now with an unknown tuning.

Infrasonic filter, or subsonic, cuts all frequencies below a certain point. Your LPF cuts all frequencies above a certain point. So, understanding this, you will see that the way you have your crossover settings, you are telling your gear that you only want to hear 45Hz, and start cutting frequencies above that (LPF) and below that (IF). I am not sure how you have it wired now, and I'm not sure what the preamp is, but for troubleshooting you will want to turn off either your preamp's filters or your amp's filters, and only run one set of filters. If you can't turn them off completely, turn them as high (LPF) or as low (IF on your preamp, or SS, subsonic, on your amp) as they will go. I'd use the amp if you can, and turn things off on the preamp or your Bose amp or wherever you have the stock settings. Once you get it narrowed down to one, subsonic filter should be maybe 25Hz, and LPF should be about 80Hz. Those are good numbers to start with. Do you know what your HPF is set to?

Not sure how you have it wired, could be from the rear speakers, but you will probably want to find that out. That could be a cause. If your JL is coming off the rear speakers that have a HPF on them, you won't be hearing any bass frequencies, depending on where the HPF is set. There are a lot of variables here, so knowing as much as you can about how your system is wired will help.

It also might help to play some test tones and see what frequencies you are actually hearing through your sub. There are apps for it, or you can go online and download some tracks.

take the bad sub out of the box ,plug the hole with a piece of wood ,then disconnect the loc from the point it at now.you need to connect it before the bose amp,i'll bet theres your issue .

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.