Cant find my mess-up---EQUALIZER HOOK UP

5.0 LSC
10+ year member

5.0 Powered
Philly
Hey everyone, i recently bought a cheap pyramid equalizer to help out my system. i didnt like how my speakers sounded after i bought my 4-channel, i thought they sounded better on just the HU amp. so im in the middle of installing this eq i bought but it turned out to be a mess. i double checked all my crimps and everything.

-power, remote power, gorund are all fine, eq turns on fine, i cant get any sound into my eq for some reason.

-system explanation

headunit sub rca to EQ, HU speaker levels to EQ, all rca's EQ to amps.

-rca's are all brand new, so im thinking it might be the line-level wiring thats messed up. i had to extend the output speaker wires in order to get to the EQ input. i crimped the wires together into 4 (left negatives and positives, right neg's and pos's). and extended them w/ standard 20 ga. hookup wire.

-do you have to use certain wire when you are wiring speakers?

thanks i could really use some help

Hey everyone, i recently bought a cheap pyramid equalizer to help out my system.
that's problem #1.

i crimped the wires together into 4 (left negatives and positives, right neg's and pos's). and extended them w/ standard 20 ga. hookup wire.
Do you mean you combined all these wires?? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

i didnt like how my speakers sounded after i bought my 4-channel, i thought they sounded better on just the HU amp.
If the HU amp sounded better then this is a whole different burrito to chew on. The amp should produce the same sound quality, just with more power. If it isn't, that's the problem you need to address, and not with an EQ - there's some kind of inherent signal problem that I can't tell from your description.

yea i know-i dont approve of cheap audio ****, but i liked the spectrum analyzer, and those expensive pioneer digital ones get bad reviews anyway. plus older ones that are still in my budget still only have 1 set of rca inputs as well so i just decided to go with a new cheap one.

-i have all new pioneers all around. i got a brand new alpine f250 amp, yea i can turn it alot louder, but it doesnt give my speakers the same punch as the HU did. someone told me before that since most people just want to turn their systems up louder, companies make their cheaper amps to do just that, w/o focusing on giving an stronger AND a louder sound.

-im talking about i had to wire it like

left front + left rear +..........left front - left rear -...........ect.

the only thing i can think of is that i should use legit speaker wire? but why would i get no sound at all when i tried it out?

please help

that ***** then!

-this model had 1 rca input for for the sub level control, and JUST line level inputs for the front and rear. its a pyramid 709ex if that helps. this eq project really turned into a nitemare for me.

It took a while to find a manual. You can use the RCA sub input with the line inputs. Then use RCA's for all the outputs. Make sure you got your wires correct.

I think I owned one of these in 1980 that had a Amp inside. They are clip happy freaks and get hot lighting fast!

someone told me before that since most people just want to turn their systems up louder, companies make their cheaper amps to do just that, w/o focusing on giving an stronger AND a louder sound.
Whoever told you that was clueless. There's likely something amiss in the install, maybe the speakers out of phase? That would kill your bass output & produce the lack of impact you're hearing.

thanks for the pointers everyone-i got it to work and i realized I F'ED UP.

-i learned the hard way that you just CANT USE CHEAP ****....after hearing the unbearable buzz and alternator interference, and turning my sub level all the way down and hearing the **** sound comming from my speakers, i realized that you just cant use line-level connections.

-i downgraded my system by doing this, why would pyramid let a p.o.s. like this leave their factory? now im on the hunt for a full-rca input equalizer....how much is a used on gonna run me? my only reqiurment is all rca connections and a spectrum analyzer of some sort.

Well, not to ridicule you but a full-blown light show like that is kinda chintzy, so any gear you find that has it probably won't be quality. I say that w/o really knowing if there's anything good out there tho.

i hear what your saying, but ive always liked the spectrum analyzer look. im starting to get frustrated though, the only new models i can find are the 2 pioneer ones. the cheaper one (DEQ-7600)only has 1 SET OF RCA INPUTS-WTF 300 BUCKS TOO!

-wtf is the deal with these things...i guess ill be on the hunt for an older one. i have no idea why the 4-channel amp doesnt punch my speakers, my only guess is that its a cheap model. FU!K

----i think im having trouble understanding eq's...everyone i see only has 1 rca input, so i guess there's no such thing. How would someone like me w/ a 3-pre-out HU use a 1 input EQ? sorry for not knowing anything but im having trouble understanding-i mean i know pioneer doesnt expect people to use line level inputs in 2007.

I understand, I like the visual stuff too. But back up a second - even a cheap-o amp will ad significantly more punch to the sound over a HU alone.

THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE EXECUTION OF YOUR SYSTEM HERE.

Adding an EQ - any EQ - is not going to solve the problem for you.

-i just dont see where i couldve messed up that would make the amp not perform the way it should. i am happy with how clear it stays with it cranked up though, so its a good thing i have loud subs as well.

chalk-i was looking to add an eq as well as have the HU....best buy is the best place for HU'S, i have a 4 year warranty and the alpine 9856, so as soon as a new model comes out im gonna return the 56 and automatically get the new one

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.