Cant choose a sub!! help

Participant count
  • Participant list

aspen76rt

Whats up, I've just gotten back into the car audio game after taking like 15 years off. Stuff's changed since then, so I need some help finishing my system build--choosing a sub. I've been looking and reading for months...and there's just too many to choose from. Back in my day there were only a few makers, and there wasnt any in-ter-net, so what they had at the shop was what you got...unless you called crutchfield on the telephone and ordered that way. Thanks in advance.

Here's my plans & needs:

I've got a civic hatch, and I want to build an enclosure in the center of the spare tire so it's totally hidden. I think I can get a max of .75 cubic feet, depending on how tall I make it. Probably 7-8" max, so the mounting depth is gonna be around 5.5." The rim is a 13" so I'm looking at a 10" or maybe something smaller, and probably in a shallow mount.

I don't listen to rap, so I don't need CRAZY bass, but I do want it to sound good if I ever play something with lots of low bass. Sound quality is my main priority, cheap is the other main priority: $100 max, unless it's a really good sub. I'd love to get one of those $40 ones but they probably ****.

Here's what I got so far:

My amp is a 6 channel Phoenix Gold xs6600 that puts out 125w X 2 for the sub channels. I'm running 6.5" fronts and Boston Acoustics rx97 (old school) 6x9s in the rear. The head unit is a Sony GT700HD that's feeding the amp via 6 ch pre-outs.

I couldn't find anything slim in Sound Solutions but they do look like they make a good product...just from looking and not hearing. Do they make a shallow sub?

Ive been eyeing the Kenwood Excelon shallow 10. It's -20dB at 20 Hz, compared to Dayton's -30dB. The flatter response makes it seem better to me. Am I being too picky by looking at the frequency response graphs?

Another thing I'm wondering is about the enclosure. If I make it out of fiberglass, wouldnt it flex a little under pressure kinda like a balloon? How thick do people make fiberglass boxes? MDF is obviously more rigid, but it's gonna eat up a lot of volume and be trickier to make into a cylinder.

Anyway back to sub searching...The pioneer TWS-whatever and Kicker shallow 10's seem to be pretty popular, are they any good or did they just flood the market with them so people would buy?

I couldn't find anything slim in Sound Solutions but they do look like they make a good product...just from looking and not hearing. Do they make a shallow sub?
Ive been eyeing the Kenwood Excelon shallow 10. It's -20dB at 20 Hz, compared to Dayton's -30dB. The flatter response makes it seem better to me. Am I being too picky by looking at the frequency response graphs?

Another thing I'm wondering is about the enclosure. If I make it out of fiberglass, wouldnt it flex a little under pressure kinda like a balloon? How thick do people make fiberglass boxes? MDF is obviously more rigid, but it's gonna eat up a lot of volume and be trickier to make into a cylinder.

Anyway back to sub searching...The pioneer TWS-whatever and Kicker shallow 10's seem to be pretty popular, are they any good or did they just flood the market with them so people would buy?
I dont see why you need a shallow mount subwoofer...

I wouldn't focus on those FR graphs too closely. Your box and even your vehicle will change those up in a minute

The shallow Pioneers, Kickers or the Kenwoods you looked at will not touch the Dayton HO sub. The shallow Kickers are very unimpressive when it comes to digging deep in my experience with them. They will bottom out with zero hesitation.

As long as the fiberglass job is done right, you won't worry have to worry about it flexxing....especially with a low power single 10 like you are looking for.

The Dayton HO subs LOVE small boxes, have nice SQ and get decently loud. I'd give them a look for sure.

Also the Sundown SD-2 10 is a shallow woofer to look into.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.