Cannot get a signal out of head units to Sub Amplifier

Participant count
  • Participant list

m1st3rnutso

So I've just wired up a mono amplifier in my boot.

Let me fill you in on the story so far:

I have a power cable running from the battery through a fuse to the amp.

I have RCAs running from head unit to amp.

I have control wire running from head unit to amp.

I have the audio cables running from the amplifier to the subwoofer.

I have a grounding wire connected to a bolt which had the paint sanded away to expose the bare metal which then connects to the amplifier.

If I use an RCA to AUX jack and plug that into the subwoofer from my phone, I can make the sub go.

When I ran that same RCA to AUX jack from the back of my head unit into a portable speaker, I could hear nothing.

I checked that the subwoofer was turned on from the head unit GUI, and the sub still didn't go.

Now here's the kick:

So I have just bought a brand new head unit thinking the problem was definitively my old head unit, wired it up, seems to be working all fine, all 4 speakers going. Except it still will not make the sub go. I tested the RCA outputs on the back of this new output with my RCA to AUX cable, and could hear nothing out of my portable speaker again!

A few things I've tried:

Checking fuse on power cable.

Checking fuses in amps.

Fiddling with both head units, and checking their manuals.

A little about my setup:

2 speakers in doors in the front, and 2 behind seats in the back.

All 4 speakers are wired straight into my head unit.

Head unit was a Pioneer DEH-X4650BT.

New head unit is a JVC-X320BT.

This is really getting to me, I feel like I'm going crazy over this.

I'm going away for a week after posting this thread, I'll check back daily and try to input all information I can. I'll have my car handy, but I won't have access to all my tools.

Make sure that the sub output is turned on in the radio. Some come from the factory to where you actually have to go into the settings to turn on the rca that is labelled sub.

Hey amps,

Thanks for starting my thread //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The first thing I checked when this problem arose was that the head unit was properly configured, including turning the RCA output to ON.

I think its good that all the simple solutions are checked first, because I feel like the problem is a simple solution that I have overlooked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.