Can wire my truck system to a 110 generator?

Participant count
  • Participant list

JAMIELILY

Texas
I am currently looking to set up my suv sound system (Subs and possible 6X10 for highs) to run off a 110 generator... question is it possible to do? and what will i need to make it possible.

I want to run my 4 channel amp off the generator to feed they system.

do i need a different amp than what i already have in the truck being powered by the battery?

do i need some type of power convertor to bring down amps to 12V? if so what do i need..

I do alot of tailgating.. and instead of caring a whole sound system.. I would like to keep in the truck and fire it from the back area of my tahoe.

no you can't an amp runs on 12volts direct current, a generator puts out 110 volts alternating current so your best bet is to run a couple battery's instead.

No you can do it I just don't really kno how because a lot of audio shops have sound rooms with Amps radios and speakers and there shops don't run off 12 v it runs off 115v - 120v ????

No you can do it I just don't really kno how because a lot of audio shops have sound rooms with Amps radios and speakers and there shops don't run off 12 v it runs off 115v - 120v ????
they have a 12v power supply behind their boards. it's gear isn't ran off 110 it's ran off 12v.

you can get a large power supply for a hundred bucks or more. you would have to transfer the power and ground wires to the power supply. each time, risking damage to everything.

or you can get a used receiver for $30 used that will do a better job and uses 110. just add some connectors to make the speaker wire switch-over easy.

i use a receiver to power a pair of 4 ohm 12's and a pair of 4 ohm coaxials in my garage. i run a passive crossover to split the signal. it rocks, has plenty of bass, and is better than any car amp + power supply i would want to cobble together.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.