can the bass boost act as a crude subsonic filter if the amp doesnt have one?

realflow100

CarAudio.com Recruit
like i set the low pass filter first. then set the bass boost to just over half so until the frequency that outputs the most power is around 40 to 50hz with the gain all the way down and turn up the gain so that the voltage around port tuning is set right on the amp so the subs get the most power around that frequency range. so lower than that it'll drop off in frequency like a subsonic filter preventing the subs from bottoming out? since the bass boost is on it'll drop in output below 40hz or so and the subs wont bottom out below that?

if the amp doesnt have a subsonic filter can that work?

Last edited by a moderator:
please dont assume i have a mental illness. its just a question. and thats just rude to say.

like i set the low pass filter first. then set the bass boost to just over half so until the frequency that outputs the most power is around 40 to 50hz with the gain all the way down and turn up the gain so that the voltage around port tuning is set right on the amp so the subs get the most power around that frequency range. so lower than that it'll drop off in frequency like a subsonic filter preventing the subs from bottoming out? since the bass boost is on it'll drop in output below 40hz or so and the subs wont bottom out below that?

if the amp doesnt have a subsonic filter can that work?
No, its not a cross over and the gain is not a volume knob, its a voltage matching pot to match the HU output as an amp can make full power with the gain off if the signal is hot enough.

so you are trying to create a really artificial and distorted 45hz peak in hopes of having less output down low?  I'd recommend just redoing your box so you can actually play a wider range of frequencies without reaching mechanical limits.  Losing cone control and subwoofer unloading is different from bottoming out... It takes a lot of fking power to bottom out a sub so use the correct term. 

Yes, you'd effectively cut frequencies below the boost frequency, but you'd be cutting everything above it too, creating a sub that is useless outside of 40-60hz.

If your goal is bad sound quality I guess you're on the right track.

Generally, the objective is to have consistent output from ~30-80hz, if it will go lower that's a plus.

Unless you're tuned at 40hz not having a subsonic filter really isn't an issue.  Even if you are tuned that high, there's not that much music that spends a lot of time at ~30hz.

mine are definitely tuned to like 45 to 50hz or something really high. 25hz and below it gets quieter and stuff starts vibrating and jumping up and down a lot. and i want to cut down stuff below like 25hz  so its not vibrating stuff so much and my subs look like they are about to jump out of the box at 14hz. they arent bottoming out but they look close to it.

is there a way I could set up an EQ/filter subsonic filter on my pc instead if that will work better?

i just have one amp going to my subs and another amp going to my stereo speakers hooked up with a Y headphone cable splitter to hook both up seperately but in the same headphone output on the front of my pc

Maybe you should start over?.. you "modified" the enclosure to "30hz" 

Had to repair a dustcap

Got some mechanical noises, and questionable repairs

Those ^^^^ are just the threads on THIS forum I know about.

I vote for the Wallsocket idea...  :clap:

Then you'll have to start over and if you're smart... get a low-tuned enclosure  

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.