can the bass boost act as a crude subsonic filter if the amp doesnt have one?

You're like  a bad car wreck. Don't really want to see it but everyone slows down to take a look 

Iirr you don't really listen to suggestions you just keep trying to reinvent the wheel.

mine are definitely tuned to like 45 to 50hz or something really high. 25hz and below it gets quieter and stuff starts vibrating and jumping up and down a lot. and i want to cut down stuff below like 25hz  so its not vibrating stuff so much and my subs look like they are about to jump out of the box at 14hz. they arent bottoming out but they look close to it.

is there a way I could set up an EQ/filter subsonic filter on my pc instead if that will work better?

i just have one amp going to my subs and another amp going to my stereo speakers hooked up with a Y headphone cable splitter to hook both up seperately but in the same headphone output on the front of my pc
i doubt you have any actual music that goes to 14 hz or 25hz literally 99% of the music out there has any material that goes under 30hz, very rare 28hz here and there.  Its probably low 30s and you dont even know the difference.  If you are just playing test tones... dont... just play music and movies normally.  

How do you know your box tuning? Did you actually put all dimensions into an actual box calculator or are you just shitting all these numbers out of your ass? 

I play all kinds of music some even have below subsonic frequencies bass i love you has some frequencies below 10hz and some other songs have super deep bass like 20hz violation and subsonic world and stuff have bass below 20hz and a song called 17 hurts

Last edited by a moderator:
I play all kinds of music some even have below subsonic frequencies bass i love you has some frequencies below 10hz and some other songs have super deep bass like 20hz violation and subsonic world and stuff have bass below 20hz and a song called 17 hurts
What ever happened to those "Terminators"?

OP is slinging advice on another forum, like a expert... guess those theories and expertise can't be held back...  :suicide:

I still vote for the wall socket idea 

:scared:

I got a new set of subs cause one of the terminator subs terminals broke when i was moving them to my new box I got tuned 34hz with 1.8 cubic feet per sub with separate chambers

I got some DS18 SELECT 4ohm 12" subwoofers they hit harder and sound cleaner and get louder and deeper too. a fair bit stiffer suspension but they sound much better i gave them plenty of time to break in before putting them in the box. about 3 hours of 20 to 40hz tone sweeps to really work them in.

I need a new more powerful amp though they can still be pushed more. underrated subwoofers. stitched surround. very tall roll surround with high cone area. and even protective rubber boot on the magnet. and they have more beefy terminals too. push/spring terminals. not like the crappy spade/blade terminals that the terminator subs had. they get loud and clean very clean excursion no mechanical noise at all.

ive not done anything wrong just asking questions  :(
Hey mate, better to ask question if you are not sure, I like people asking questions, as it provides an impression on how everyone thinks! :graduate:

Now, the amp you have does not have subsonic filter so if you are using a sealed box, it maybe be tuned at 35hz (as a good overall sound frequency starting point) so the subsonic filter can be used but will not have any issue with the subwoofer.

The subsonic filter is a good prevention to your subwoofer, think of it as an insurance for your subwoofer and it outshines when you are using a ported box.  Usually they expand from 20hz - 50hz depending on the type of amp, and are set at 25hz as a good measure.   In reality, you cannot get bass lower then 30hz in your car, as the environment will not allow it, but I am sure you have heard people making custom box and tuned it low , say 28hz, but that does not mean, you will get 120db of bass at 30Hz, :uhoh:  as most vehicles peak around 50 -60Hz

The bass boost function is usually centered around 45 Hz that provides a "peak" in that frequency and is used to compensate for your subwoofer enclosure, or placement / efficiency issue., But if you have high sensitivity subwoofers, then using the feature will just 'drown' the midrange/ mid- bass/ and high frequencies and is useful if you are into SPL :nerd:

Keep your eye out for a class D monobloc that you can buy later as its a good feature to have if you have a ported box.  Not having them can reduce the life of your subwoofer in the ported box if you like to 'pound the pavement' but if you listen to it at low to moderate listening levels then its ok, but keep your eyes peeled for one you can get in future.

Hope this gives you some a better understanding of the amps bass boost feature mate! :veryhapp:

20150530_150021.jpg

I'm not in a car im in home. everything setup in my bedroom I have no bass boost set. turned off completely.

my box is ported tuned to 34hz and not sealed. it hits down to about 22hz strongly.

my subs do not even get close to bottoming out without subsonic filter. even playing a 20hz sinewave at full volume my subs still have plenty of overhead excursion left. they arent even being stressed when playing music.

they start dropping off in excursion below 20hz and above 20hz without a subsonic filter. only have low pass filter set to 40hz on both subs so they dont play any high frequencies.

even though its tuned to 34hz. it sounds the loudest around 45 to 50hz so i set an EQ on my computer to account for that and reduce the bass around 40 to 100hz and reduce the peak at 45hz by 15dB and 50hz by 18dB to make it sound flatter and less boomy.

my room really resonates loudly around 45 to 50hz it sounds like my head is in the subwoofer port when i stand across the room from my subs unless i have my EQ filter on my computer set to reduce the peak around there. I prefer SQ over SPL so it sounds really good the way its set up right now. i would need a subsonic filter if I got a more powerful amp for sure. the amp i plan on getting rockville dB14 comes with a subsonic filter already so i'll be using that if I give my subs more power.

Ds18 stuff... I think the starter mtx stuff was an upgrade 

Great choice... was that brand recommended somewhere or was it your panacea of knowledge that just moved you In this instance?

2ft3 tuned to 34hz?

Are you sure... those prefabs can be difficult to nail down the tuning on.

Oh well... I'm glad "your room" is doing better

its definitely 34hz i tested it playing a sinewave sweep and stepping through the frequencies one by one and its dead on 34hz exactly. works fine!

the MTX subs werent as good. has less xmax. cheaper terminals. more cheaply made. the magnet had sharp jagged raggedy edges on the inside edge of the pole piece and not aligned very well. and the cone was made of a really brittle plastic material to begin with. the center of both dustcaps cracked like 1 inch wide crack within a month or so of having them and i didnt even play them on much power. they had rubber surrounds but the look quite lumpy around the edges when i take the rubber gasket off.

the DS18 seems pretty over-built. stitched surround. extra high roll surround and still having more cone area than the terminator subs. better magnet. even has a rubber boot on the magnet to protect it. much beefier push/spring terminals makes it super fast and easy to hook up to bare wire. and slightly more than twice the xmax rating of the terminator subs.

very clean excursion too. less mechanical noise than the terminator subs.

and with the new box i got they hit lower and cleaner too. and seem like they could take even more power if I got a more powerful amp.

video of the DS18 sub playing. any distortion/clipping you hear is just from the camera mic not being able to handle the bass being so close to the subwoofer.

nvm i fixed the youtube url being posted as a link instead of a video i just changed https to http at the beginning. no idea why it changed it for me.

I'm not in a car im in home. everything setup in my bedroom I have no bass boost set. turned off completely.

my box is ported tuned to 34hz and not sealed. it hits down to about 22hz strongly.

my subs do not even get close to bottoming out without subsonic filter. even playing a 20hz sinewave at full volume my subs still have plenty of overhead excursion left. they arent even being stressed when playing music.

they start dropping off in excursion below 20hz and above 20hz without a subsonic filter. only have low pass filter set to 40hz on both subs so they dont play any high frequencies.

even though its tuned to 34hz. it sounds the loudest around 45 to 50hz so i set an EQ on my computer to account for that and reduce the bass around 40 to 100hz and reduce the peak at 45hz by 15dB and 50hz by 18dB to make it sound flatter and less boomy.

my room really resonates loudly around 45 to 50hz it sounds like my head is in the subwoofer port when i stand across the room from my subs unless i have my EQ filter on my computer set to reduce the peak around there. I prefer SQ over SPL so it sounds really good the way its set up right now. i would need a subsonic filter if I got a more powerful amp for sure. the amp i plan on getting rockville dB14 comes with a subsonic filter already so i'll be using that if I give my subs more power.
Why are you using car amps for home audio?

it was the cheapest I could find for the watts at the time. less than 100$ and the power supply for it was only 20$ free shipping on amazon.

but moving up to close to 1000 watts RMS at 2 ohms is much harder to do in home subwoofer audio and find a good deal on that is a good bargain.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.