Can subs get unlouder if u turn too high?

I know you never said the other side was wrong, and the other side DEFINITELY came out saying you were...I guess that makes them the Republicans:D lol

Well now we can all rest easily knowing that both sides are right in their own way. See, we may have even solved this without Zane's words of wisdom!!! Although I wouldn't mind seein a post from him, I'm sure he can explain it far better than any of us and would clear up both sides so that everyone can understand it on the same level...

Keep it loud!

JELLYDIME

My apologies for not posting earlier, I have been rather occupied this past week.

Judging from what has been stated allready, some may not like what I have to say. So be it. jlaine is correct.

Several times this debate has came up across numerous message boards, and it allways seems to be drudged into the same similar arguement.

I believe that there is little to be elaborated on further, as the issue is pretty black and white. It also has been explained quite well.

Reference wise- I have never suggested that the tech site I reference on my own site;

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm is my own. I placed a link to this information on my site as I believe it to be one of the most comprehensive and informative sources of Car Audio Information available. That site is owned and maintained by Perry Babin, as allready mentioned.

Now that that is cleared up......

everyone kiss, make up, have a cold one, and smile! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

take it easy,

-zane

Zane, I don't doubt your answer, but wouldn't both of us be right? JLaine just explained in more detail. The reason I ask this is simply because if the user was not abusing the volume or gain control, their amp would not be clipping, there for if the amp is not clipping, these larger amounts of power would not be sent to the sub. Based on that, you could also say that the user blew the subs. So here is what I believe to be the break down in order. 1. Excessive amounts of power kill the sub (heat, square waves, from the DC voltage) also the woofer does move as much, therefore heat does not dissipate as quickly. 2. Clipping is what causes the amplifier to send DC voltage, square waves, etc. 3. User-toying with the volume control, gains improperly set, or simply trying to get more out of the amp, than it can produce. So in scientific terms, JLaine is the more correct, but in simplistic terms, 2&3 are also correct. I do have to say though, even though I gave JLaine a little bit of a hard time, I did learn some things I didn't know.

I WOULDNT WORRY ABOUT IT PHAT..... TO ME IT WAS SORTA STUPID...JUST REMEMBER THE SPEAKER CONE WILL DO WHAT THE WAVE DOES...IF IT HANGS IT WONT MOVE NORMAL...A CLIP IS DISTORTION OF THE WORST KIND AND TO ME IT ISNT "POWER" ITS CALLED GARBAGE BECAUSE LETS FACE IT..YOU DONT WANNA DO IT NOW WOULD WE?(and if you wanna call it power it is of the totally unwanted varity)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif HAS NO REAL BEARING OF "NORMAL" PERFORMANCE BECAUSE ALSO THE MORE EXPERIENCED YOU ARE YOU KNOW WHAT TO LOOK FOR...ON ANOTHER NOTE...WHAT ABOUT PORTED BOXXES? EHEHE

But, you also have to look at the fact that most systems have some sort of clipping/distortion. Some aren't audible at all, and some sound like a train wreck. The train wreck example is the one where the subs are getting that DC voltage, square waves, aka too much power. So I can see their point, the excess power created by clipping/distortion does not always lead to the subs destruction.

Hell he thinks he knows alot......Sometimclipping is a form of distortion anyway and it can blow speakers by producing heat be it theoretical or actual if it doesnt say it on the box noone understands, how many owners manuals explain this? where i believe the confusion lies is in the understanding of what was never said. (until now)...nor explained "" it is true but i wouldnt go recomending people to be volume masters ehehe reasons behind this is variables in boxes ,speaker.......ect ect.....reasons this doesnt get out is because people who sell it should be trained in it by the manufacturer (most dont get it from what i see nor understand it if they do) its the manufactures way of controlling who sells what where and why, but the net is so new many people sell this stuff have no clue....except the few ... just be glad you have people that will go to the extremes to explain (i won't 'cause im lazy and if you really wanna know you should learn the whole concept not just parts) but i'll tell you were to look lol another reason why there be so much chaos is there is no real standardization in specs from volfenhag to jl there be a difference in how they come up with their numbers all for marketing........what jl said about heat is true (at first i thought he was saying the opp of what he was until i re read it but its early lol) i know a few amps that add the heat index of the amps heat sink to the output power of the amp to achieve 1000 watts of power lololol aka the 50 dollar 1000 watt amp.

es i think he is full of it

Originally posted by Phatillusion But, you also have to look at the fact that most systems have some sort of clipping/distortion. Some aren't audible at all, and some sound like a train wreck. The train wreck example is the one where the subs are getting that DC voltage, square waves, aka too much power. So I can see their point, the excess power created by clipping/distortion does not always lead to the subs destruction.
Well... here is the major thing... ALL systems have distortion. Speakers are the major problem. If you find a system with a complete average of 3% distortion from the source unit to the tested output, you are doing **** good.

Clipping, 99% of systems have, even though we don't know it. It's been numerically beaten (that horse is pretty dead, although I don't know if I fully agree with it) that it will take roughly 10 times your actual output requirements for dynamic headroom to not have an amplifier clip on you duing musical peaks. (so your 100x2 front amp? Run it at 10x2 or forget it- cause there will be clipping)

Just for reiteration: Square waves have no relative correlation to DC and cannot be called DC voltage, I believe I went further into this a few posts ago... can't quite recall...

Originally posted by boaredtodeath Hell he thinks he knows alot......Sometimclipping es i think he is full of it
well hay dawgies! what do you know? (blacktoothed grin)//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

: Square waves have no relative correlation to DC and cannot be called DC voltage
The train wreck example is the one where the subs are getting that DC voltage, square waves, aka too much power.
Was simply stating what happens when your amp is clipping, and saying that it all revolves around power. Never called it DC for the record.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.