Can Rear Speakers be used for imaging?

tankertoad
10+ year member

SoCal
Almost all of the installers to whom I've spoken have recommended either disconnecting my rear 4x6 plates on the rear deck (no other drivers behind the front seats) or running an upgraded version off of deck power for "rear fill" and volume assistance with windows down. One installer, however, told me that due to the heavy backslope of the rear glass, he could run upgraded 4" coax. off a small amp that if properly EQ'd, crossed over, and time aligned, would actually serve to raise the soundstage in the front of the car from the stock door locations.

Is this true? Can small rear speakers provide an SQ benefit to the front staging/imaging?

If you like the idea of sound coming from all around you, then keep them in. Some guys point out that when at things such as a concert etc, the music only comes from in front of you, which is the sound that many people prefer in their car. Right now im running amped components up front and stockers in the rear for fill. Im gonna try this for a bit and see if i like it.

If you like the idea of sound coming from all around you, then keep them in. Some guys point out that when at things such as a concert etc, the music only comes from in front of you, which is the sound that many people prefer in their car. Right now im running amped components up front and stockers in the rear for fill. Im gonna try this for a bit and see if i like it.
I have the same setup as you klepto I have amped components up front and stockers in rear for fill... what do people get by taking the rear speakers off?? I gotta try it to see what you mean.

Almost all of the installers to whom I've spoken have recommended either disconnecting my rear 4x6 plates on the rear deck (no other drivers behind the front seats) or running an upgraded version off of deck power for "rear fill" and volume assistance with windows down. One installer, however, told me that due to the heavy backslope of the rear glass, he could run upgraded 4" coax. off a small amp that if properly EQ'd, crossed over, and time aligned, would actually serve to raise the soundstage in the front of the car from the stock door locations.
Is this true? Can small rear speakers provide an SQ benefit to the front staging/imaging?

That'd be one hell of an installer doing an amazing install to get that to work right. Odds are it wont' sound as good as a fully optimized front stage without rears. I'd agree with the rest of the installers opinion and say save the money you'd spend on your rears to make your fronts better.

That'd be one hell of an installer doing an amazing install to get that to work right. Odds are it wont' sound as good as a fully optimized front stage without rears.

Well, supposedly this particular installer is supposed to be "amazing", and the front stage will already be optimized with Dynaudio 2-ways in the door also being crosssed over, EQ'd, and time aligned. It's just that the insaller said all that will do is center the image at about dash level, while adding the rears as described above will lift the image from dash to windshield as the reflected rear sound waves will come forward past the front seats at around ear level. Even I raised an eyebrow at this and he said "Trust me, it's not B.S. It works."

while rears can help give you depth when crossed low (remember you dont want any higher frequency ques from the back) i doubt it'll help with imaging any. i would low pass some bigger midbass from 2-300 down and they shouldnt be audible when on, but you should notice they're absence when off... if that makes sense

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.