can my amp handle two subs?

gud

CarAudio.com Recruit
Florida
current amp: Rockford Fosgate R2-1200X1
current sub: sundown sa 12 750w (Dual 4Ω )
wired at 2Ω for 800w

i have another sa 12 just laying around, want to see if this amp would hold it. if I wire two of these subs together to 1 Ω that would be 1500w? the amp is rated for 1200w at 1Ω . but so far this amp has been a tank, but i dont have any experience running two subs

or will i need to upgrade my amp? thanks for any advice

You will be under powering the subs a little but the amp should run them fine.
Thank you!
You say underpowering but wouldn’t two 750w subs be at 1500w which would be overpowering the 1200w amp? I’m not sure how to calculate with two subs in the system, just trying to understand the reasoning

Thank you!
You say underpowering but wouldn’t two 750w subs be at 1500w which would be overpowering the 1200w amp? I’m not sure how to calculate with two subs in the system, just trying to understand the reasoning
The amplifier will only put out what it puts out. The subwoofers can't stress the amp out trying to sucķ (really? **** is a censors word?) more power out. So, only sending "1200" watts to subs who's RMS is 1500, you'll only be sending them "1200" watts.... then, you start getting into impedance rise and vehicle voltage and that number starts to go down even more.
In short, you will be underpowering the subs, but in the plus side (of tuned correctly) they should last you forever.

current amp: Rockford Fosgate R2-1200X1
current sub: sundown sa 12 750w (Dual 4Ω )
wired at 2Ω for 800w

i have another sa 12 just laying around, want to see if this amp would hold it. if I wire two of these subs together to 1 Ω that would be 1500w? the amp is rated for 1200w at 1Ω . but so far this amp has been a tank, but i dont have any experience running two subs

or will i need to upgrade my amp? thanks for any advice
Dude, I have the previous version of that amp. The Prime 1200D. I am STILL running it at 1 ohm on a pair of Punch P3 10's. The amp doesn't flinch. I am sure they have improved upon it with the R2. Slap both of those 12's on it at 1 ohm. You WILL be fine... and happy.

What would be the best way to wire my subs together? My amplifier has two sets of positive and negative terminals and the box has two separate connection terminals, one for each sub. Do I still wire the subs together as I see in diagrams?

What would be the best way to wire my subs together? My amplifier has two sets of positive and negative terminals. Do I even need to wire the subs together if the box has two separate terminals for each sub?
The ++ and - - are wired together inside the amplifier. So wire each sub down to 2 ohms and then wire one sub to the amplifier Positive to Positive and Negative to Negative at the amp and the same for the second sub to the second Positive and Negative on the amp. Thus 1 ohm.

Do this twice... one sub on each terminal...

Attachments

• 1_4ohmdvc_2ohm.jpg
    1_4ohmdvc_2ohm.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 49
The ++ and - - are wired together inside the amplifier. So wire each sub down to 2 ohms and then wire one sub to the amplifier Positive to Positive and Negative to Negative at the amp and the same for the second sub to the second Positive and Negative on the amp. Thus 1 ohm.

Do this twice... one sub on each terminal...
Easy enough, thank you

Thank you!
The amp only provides as much power as it can, So the subs wouldn't be getting 1500w. Subs only take the power they are given, They don't draw power if that makes sense.

Just got the two subs installed and all is working great thanks yall. just need to tune the amp, but it already sounds sm better

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...