Can I put a subwoofer that calls for a 1.1 or 1.35 Cu. Ft. Box in a truck box at 0.9?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I purchased a 12" sealed truck box that is 20"W x 15"T x 7.5" Bottom Depth x 5" Top Depth and is a total of 0.9 Cu. Ft. size inside the box.

I have been looking at 12" subs that call for like 1.1 up to like 1.35 cu. ft. volume boxes but would fit perfect and are better subs for the money as opposed to others like a shallow mount woofer that is good for a smaller box like that but doesn't have NEAR the power and low end range the regular sized subs have.

I have about 7" mounting depth so a good amount of regular subs fit my box ... it's just the volume size for these calls for a larger box then my 0.9 cu. ft box I ordered (and I got this box cause it fits perfectly under the back seat of my GMC Sierra crew back perfect ... I don;t have room for a larger box that 1.0+ sized .... the best I could find to fit my truck in a single sub application is 0.95 ... so the 0.9 size is all I can do, but I sure wish I could get a full size sub to get the full low end potential).

Any thoughts on if this is okay to do? would putting a sub that wants a 1.1 to 1.35 cu. ft volume in a box that only has 0.9???

Thanks so much for your thoughts and feedback. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If sealed it will prolly be ok. It may not take the power as well as in the larger box. But the size difference is very small. Thro some Polly fill in the box. It might help

10% variance in box volume shouldn't make any audible difference... That being said, are you quite certain the 1 cube "recommended" volume is optimum? As often as not, manufacturers advertise far smaller that optimum boxes to con newbs into buying subs that they really don't have the space to run properly.

@mylows10 ..... I do plan on throwing in a layer of polyfil.

@hispls .... not sure bro .... I just know it says it's a 0.0 cu. ft. volume box ..... couldn't say.

I just want to make sure I am not buying something that will not perform well due tot he variance in volume size needed.

I'm wanting to get this JL Audio sub possibly (always been a fan and this is a killer price) ...... JL Audio 12W0v3-4 W0v3 Series 12" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Run this 4-ohm sub on my Alpine MRP-M500 that pushes a perfect 300 RMS in 4-ohms to it.

But it calls for a 1.375 cu. ft sized volume box .... mine will only be 0.9 ???

Would this still be fine? I know its not "Perfect" but will I notice a huge difference or will it affect or damage the sub in anyway?

I'm wanting to get this JL Audio sub possibly (always been a fan and this is a killer price) ...... JL Audio 12W0v3-4 W0v3 Series 12" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield.com
Run this 4-ohm sub on my Alpine MRP-M500 that pushes a perfect 300 RMS in 4-ohms to it.

But it calls for a 1.375 cu. ft sized volume box .... mine will only be 0.9 ???

Would this still be fine? I know its not "Perfect" but will I notice a huge difference or will it affect or damage the sub in anyway?
Going too small sacrifices output and low extension. Hard telling how dramatically without testing..... sealed boxes are generally quite forgiving, but getting into 40% too small box is probably not a great idea.

Going too small sacrifices output and low extension. Hard telling how dramatically without testing..... sealed boxes are generally quite forgiving, but getting into 40% too small box is probably not a great idea.
Ya I was thinking the same thing.

Thats my problem I think in trying to go with a full size subwoofer for may small box at 0.9 cu. ft. and not looking at just getting a shallow mount sub.

The shallow mount subs in my price range are just junk seems like ... and I know I can't get that real low end that I would like to see with a shallow sub.

So I started looking at somewhat full size subs as my box let's me put in a sub with about 6" to 7" of mounting depth ... BUT, I still have to go back to the fact that my box is very tiny since it's basically a truck shallow enclosure and not a lot of these subs are made for enclosures that size .... The PowerBass one I was wanting says it calls for a 1.5 cu. ft volume enclosure .... I just don't think it's good for the sub or I will get out of it what I want plugging a sub wanting 1.5 in a box thats 0.9

I wish they would just perform regardless and maybe not be the best they would be if they we're in the 1.5 box you know ... I am not looking for Competition type sound or bass ... this is just a sub to add some sweet bass to my stock stereo in my GMC Sierra trauck is all.

If I put a sub wanting 1.1 to 1.5 cu. ft. of volume in this 0.9 box what is the downside? Is it bad for the sub? Will is sound really bad? If it's okay to do but lessens the SQ of the sub, would it be worse then say going with a Shallow Mount sub instead?

Just wanting to know where I stand with the option I am looking at is all.

I was a JL Dealer and a 12w1 was always a great sub in .9 to 1 cubic feet.12w0s sounded ok but did lose their low end below 1 cubic feet.
Sure wish the JL W0 was good .... that was the one I was looking at (been a fan of JL forever) .... The W1 is just out of my price range unfortunately.

How bad was the W0 with a box a touch under 1.0? .... couldn't be much worse then going with a "Shallow Sub" could it? The W0 is in my price range and I can get it form Sonic for 130 bucks.

Really think if this works this would be the ticket for me .... does it just lose a tiny bit of low end? Like I said not looking for Comp type stuff .... just a sub to fill out this horrible stock stereos door bass but still get a sub that will hit and I would be happy I spent my money on.

I get so many replies here is Sundown, Daytona stuff etc. etc. ..... I have never heard of any of that before and don;t feel comfortable with going with something I don't know or never heard of before ... but JL I have had had in the past and Absolutely LOVED.

They say they are made for boxes at 1.37 cu. ft. though.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_39825_JL-Audio-12W0v3-4.html

Sure wish the JL W0 was good .... that was the one I was looking at (been a fan of JL forever) .... The W1 is just out of my price range unfortunately.
How bad was the W0 with a box a touch under 1.0? .... couldn't be much worse then going with a "Shallow Sub" could it? The W0 is in my price range and I can get it form Sonic for 130 bucks.

The 12w0 wasn't bad but not near a 12w1 in that enclosure.

BUT.

I never sold a better 12" subwoofer for under $150 than the Kenwood KFC-W3013PS (KFC-W3012)

It sounded so close to a JL 12w1.

If you could check one out first that would be ideal.

I sold 50+ of these and only had 1 fail.

True dealer cost was less than $55 for one without a bulk purchase.

Hence why they are cheaper than that on ebay than Crutchfield charging $120 each.

The wonders of mass production in a crappy 3rd world country using good parts in a state of art production facility.

Food for thought.

I never sold a better 12" subwoofer for under $150 than the Kenwood KFC-W3013PS (KFC-W3012)

It sounded so close to a JL 12w1.

If you could check one out first that would be ideal.

I sold 50+ of these and only had 1 fail.

True dealer cost was less than $55 for one without a bulk purchase.

Hence why they are cheaper than that on ebay than Crutchfield charging $120 each.

The wonders of mass production in a crappy 3rd world country using good parts in a state of art production facility.

Food for thought.
WOW .... $55 bucks on Amazon shipped 2-days Prime!!!!!!

Says it's good for a sealed enclosure from "sealed box volume: 0.75-1.75 cubic feet" ..... Should be perfect for a 0.9 box right???

But it says the "Ideal" Sealed box volume is 1.25 (still Okay to run in 0.9?)

Also the RMS range is 400W and my amp is only 300W .... but that shouls till be fine for the time being.(Plus I may be able to look inot a different amp with the money that I can save by going with this sub.

The reviews on Amazon, SonixElectronixs, Crutchfiled, Best Buy and other places are STELLAR as well.

It says the mounting depth is 6" (6-1/16" so basically 6") .... and my box says it can do a 7.5" .... this will leave 1.5" of space which should be perfect to keep room between the sub and box plus be able to put in some Polyfill in the box as well .... do your recommend a nice layer of Polyfill???

Gonna do more research on this but crap ... for the price and the specs and the Glowing reviews this may be one I will give a shot for sure (It's Amazon as well and being a prime customer I can return it if it doesn't perform so I'm not out anything) .... I can do what you said "Check this out first, that would be ideal"

Any more info you can provide me on this sub and give me more feedback and thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks so much for the help bro! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

View attachment 26545336

You are sacrificing output and low extension by skimping on volume. Personally I'd take my chances going to small with a better quality sub than using a "shallow mount". I really don't trust them.

Ya I'm not looking at shallow mounts anymore ... I should be able to find a great full size sub in the box. This Kenwood sub is a lock, I'm gonna give it a try for sure with those reviews and that price!

Ya I'm not looking at shallow mounts anymore ... I should be able to find a great full size sub in the box. This Kenwood sub is a lock, I'm gonna give it a try for sure with those reviews and that price!

I sold a number of the Kenwoods with a 1 cubic foot sealed prefab box and it worked great.

So .9 will be real close.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.